I don't want to submit the forum when I press enter

migroo

Okay I have a forum and I am using ajax to so search a database. When you press enter the form wants to submit all of its information. I don't want it to do that I want it to press the search button. I am guessing this is something I am going to need javascript for but I really don't have a clue what to do to fix this problem.So is there a way to make it so that when you press a button (enter) it calls a function and doesn't try to submit all the information that is in a form?If some one could point me in the right direction I would be very happy.THANKS!

You can handle the submit event of the form.

<form onsubmit="return somefunc(this)"></form>

If you return false, the form won't submit.

You can try this. Place onkeypress="keyPress()" in the BODY tag and then use this function:function keyPress(){if (window.event.keyCode == 13)window.event.keyCode =0;} This might also work in the BODY tag:onkeypress="return event.keyCode!=13"

this is from a previous post Catch Onkeydown Event a javascript onkeydown function is assigned to input items except submit button, if enter key has been pressed it produces a alert message, and cancels it. you required two methods of assigning the onkeydown fuction and cancellation, one for IE another for other browsers.

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd"><html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml"><head><meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1" /><title>Untitled Document</title><script type="text/javascript">/*<![CDATA[*//*---->*/window.onload = function()	{ //Wait for the page to load.	var inputs = document.getElementsByTagName('input');	for(var i=0;i<inputs.length;i++)		{ 		if(inputs[i].getAttribute('type')!="submit")			{			 if(window.event)				{				inputs[i].onkeypress = function() { keypressed(event)};				}			else				{				inputs[i].setAttribute('onkeypress', 'keypressed(event)');				}	 			}		 }	}function keypressed(e){  e = e? e : window.event;var Key = e.keyCode? e.keyCode : e.which? e.which : null;if (Key == 13){alert("Enter button Pressed - Press the damn 'Submit Now' button Fool!")if(e.preventDefault)e.preventDefault(); //Prevent form being submitting e.returnValue=false;  //Prevent form being submittinge.cancel = true;  //Prevent form being submitting};}/*--*//*]]>*/</script> </head><body><form><input type="text" /><input type="text" /><input type="text" /><input type="submit" value=" Submit Now" /></form></body></html>

Thanks guys! L.O.L dsonesuk

"Enter button Pressed - Press the damn 'Submit Now' button Fool!"
I like that a lot!Well I didn't get it working all the way but it doesn't submit everything when some one presses the return key. I am not real good with javascript but I am learning slowly.

Archived