W3C Standards

ApocalypeX

I'm working on a new version of my site and after design I want to try and get it to W3C XHTML standards I just have 1 error.tab="0" is not an attributeI know this obviously, but a script I have written for a slideshow/slider uses the tab attribute to choose which slide to show etc. My question is would I be allowed to say my site fits W3C standards or not?

You can't really say it complies with standards when it doesn't. People click the link expecting to see the validator showing a valid result.Again, the police aren't going to go after you for it, so you can do what you like.

You can always use JavaScript to set this attribute... it won't make sence without JavaScript anyway.

Well I have very strong views against JavaScript... As both a programmer and an internet browser.But isn't there a way to apply the attribute to the tag anyway?

Wow I never thought of setting the attribute with JS as an alternative lol. *facepalm*

Well I have very strong views against JavaScript... As both a programmer and an internet browser.
Why is that?

I'd guess because it can be turned off, stripped away, potential security issues if you use 3rd party code, and is harder to debug and validate....But as far as I'm concerned, that's not a reason to be "against" JavaScript... it's just a reason to use it responsibly and sparingly.BTW,

As both a programmer and an internet browser.
Errr.... JavaScript is not a programmer nor an internet browser... it's a programming language running inside different internet browsers.

I'd guess because it can be turned off, stripped away, potential security issues if you use 3rd party code, and is harder to debug and validate....But as far as I'm concerned, that's not a reason to be "against" JavaScript... it's just a reason to use it responsibly and sparingly.
>potential security issues if you use 3rd party code,That's just the developer's stupidity.

>potential security issues if you use 3rd party code,That's just the developer's stupidity.
Technically, when talking about security, everything basically comes down to "developer's stupidity" - providing APIs to 3rd parties that should not be provided? The providing developer is stupid. Giving sensetive information to a 3rd party without having insurance they'll use it as intended? The giving developer is stupid. You letting the client do something they aren't supposed to do? You are the stupid... etc. etc.But yeah... I sort'a see your point.

Technically, when talking about security, everything basically comes down to "developer's stupidity" - providing APIs to 3rd parties that should not be provided? The providing developer is stupid. Giving sensetive information to a 3rd party without having insurance they'll use it as intended? The giving developer is stupid. You letting the client do something they aren't supposed to do? You are the stupid... etc. etc.But yeah... I sort'a see your point.
I didn't even think of those points and they too are true. But I was thinking more of the "These guys developed a cool library let me just link my scripts to their source code instead of hosting it myself" developers.And when it comes to clients trying to mess up your site with Javascript it all comes down to validating.I personally love Javascript its pros outweigh its cons.

Errr.... JavaScript is not a programmer nor an internet browser... it's a programming language running inside different internet browsers.
He must surely be saying his views against Javascript are coming from the perspective of him being a programmer and an internet browser (as in a user how browses the internet).

With the OP joining the conversation, and in fact steering it in that direction (unlike most other similar cases), I think there's no need to separate the topics :).

Archived