Learning JavaScript

knystrom18

I'm looking to broaden my very small and shadily understood knowledge of JavaScript. Would any of you be willing to post places that you've learned the basics from? I'm particularly perplexed about the syntax, what goes in parentheses,

Example:function doThis(what could go here?) {...}- or -<a href='#' onclick='java script:doThis(what could go here?)'>Do This</a>

and the differences between objects, properties and methods and what they each do.Thanks!

You might also want to go get a book - flip through a few before deciding which one you like best.I used a book to learn Flash. The difference between a book and the web is that the book had a specific order and intent - so I learned about things I wouldn't have followed otherwise.I still can't make a video - but that's not the book's fault. :)

You might also want to go get a book - flip through a few before deciding which one you like best.I used a book to learn Flash. The difference between a book and the web is that the book had a specific order and intent - so I learned about things I wouldn't have followed otherwise.I still can't make a video - but that's not the book's fault. :)
I plan to in time. When I have enough money...

Change examples and play around with different thing you know to expand your techniques.function do_this(param1){alert(param1);}do_this("Hello World!");What ever is put in the function's parameter is passed as a local variable.function do_this(param1, param2){alert(param1+" "+param2);}do_this("Hello","World!");

I've always learned a lot by reading other people's code. I visit a page, notice that some JavaScript must be running, so I open up the script and look at it. Sometimes you can tell that the code is sloppy, so you don't want to learn from that. And sometimes it will look more complicated than you can understand right now, so you can ignore that too. But a lot of things will be at your level, and you really can learn from them.

I've always learned a lot by reading other people's code. I visit a page, notice that some JavaScript must be running, so I open up the script and look at it. Sometimes you can tell that the code is sloppy, so you don't want to learn from that. And sometimes it will look more complicated than you can understand right now, so you can ignore that too. But a lot of things will be at your level, and you really can learn from them.
You could also try writing some of those things yourself (obviously keeping in mind copyrights and such) to try and learn from them. Start writing it from scratch and use the source code as a reference. If you get stuck, Google it or ask the experts on this forum.Like scientist said, I believe the best way to learn is practice, practice, practice.

The wya that I am learning at the moment as well seem familiar to Deidre's Dad is going on site where they let you customise a template for a web page, making it as you want it and reading the code and then trying yourself afterwards and seeing where you whent wrong.

Yeah I never thought of checking the code on webpages that`ll help lessen my questions on the forum which everyone probbaly getting tired of anwsering all my questions by now

Never really thought of that. I've done it for HTML and stuff like that, but not for scripts...

Change examples and play around with different thing you know to expand your techniques.function do_this(param1){alert(param1);}do_this("Hello World!");What ever is put in the function's parameter is passed as a local variable.function do_this(param1, param2){alert(param1+" "+param2);}do_this("Hello","World!");
That clears up the parentheses. Thanks ApoclypeX.

Archived