what's the easiest way to flag a clicked item

niche

What's the easiest way to flag a clicked item based on this snippet? Is it AJAX? Or, is there an easier way?

<?phpsession_start();?><form method="post" action=""><input  type="checkbox" name="bop1" value="yes" /> Check to print BOP1 <br /><input type="submit" value="submit" name="submit"><br /></form><br /> <form method="post" action=""><input  type="checkbox" name="bop2" value="yes" /> Check to print BOP2<br /><input type="submit" value="submit" name="submit"><br /></form><br /> <form method="post" action=""><input  type="checkbox" name="bop3" value="yes" /> Check to print BOP3<br /><input type="submit" value="submit" name="submit"><br /></form><br /> <?phpecho var_dump($_POST) .'<br/>';?>

Based on my snippet, the checkbox would stay checked (after submission) or the text, after the checkbox, would change color after submission. I see this effect all the time, but don't know what it's called.

I don't know if that has a name. If you're using regular form submission, then you just check the value in $_POST and figure out what you want to do. If you're using ajax, then you send the value to the server, get the response, and figure out what you want to do.

If you're using AJAX, the checked property won't change unless you tell it to. If it's a form, like jsg says, respond to the value from the POST data:<input type="checkbox" <?php echo isset($_POST['mycheckbox']) ? 'checked="checked"' : ''; ?> name="mycheckbox">

I've refined my question. Is there an example or tutorial that will let me change the color of text (or a button) in a way that's similar to changing anchor color with css (link, visited, hove, active). I tried to style the the input tag with those properties but it didn't work.I apologize if this just became a css question.

The isset approach keeps checkbox1 after submission, but how do you keep checkbox1 checked after checkbox2 gets submitted so the page comes back with checkbox1 AND checkbox2 checked based on this example:

<html><head><style type="text/css"></style></head><body><?phpsession_start();?><form method="post" action=""><input type="checkbox" <?php echo isset($_POST['mycheckbox1']) ? 'checked="checked"' : ''; ?> name="mycheckbox1">   Check to print BOP1 <br /><input type="submit" value="submit" name="submit"><br /></form><br /> <form method="post" action=""><input type="checkbox" <?php echo isset($_POST['mycheckbox2']) ? 'checked="checked"' : ''; ?> name="mycheckbox2"> Check to print BOP2<br /><input type="submit" value="submit" name="submit"><br /></form><br /> <form method="post" action=""><input type="checkbox" <?php echo isset($_POST['mycheckbox3']) ? 'checked="checked"' : ''; ?> name="mycheckbox3"> Check to print BOP3<br /><input type="submit" value="submit" name="submit"><br /></form><br /> <?phpecho var_dump($_POST) .'<br/>';?></body></html>

Or store them in the session.To change the classes, if you're using PHP then the easiest way is to just use PHP to check whether to print an extra class name onto the elements you want to change. If you're using Javascript there are several examples online to either add and remove classes to elements or set individual style properties.

That's the way I had it until I realized the list of checkboxes could be very long. So I switched to individual forms.Would onclick be the solution. If so, I'll need familiarize myself. I haven't used it before.

That's the way I had it until I realized the list of checkboxes could be very long. So I switched to individual forms.
What does that have to do with anything? :)The number of elements in a form makes no difference at all.
Would onclick be the solution. If so, I'll need familiarize myself. I haven't used it before.
You could use the onclick event to send an AJAX request which could do whatever you needed to do with the submitted value, and then alter the clicked checkbox....if that's what you're asking.

if you're using PHP then the easiest way is to just use PHP to check whether to print an extra class name onto the elements you want to change.
I don't understand how that would work.

As in:<td class="<?php echo isset($_POST['something']) ? 'bluecell' : 'pinkcell'; ?>">Which results in<td class="bluecell">or<td class="pinkcell">depending on the whether a form element with the name 'something' was posted to the server.

OK (always looking for a chance to create my first class), but which property will display a checked checkbox? I just went through the property list and didn't see one that would to that.

I was going to ask where 'checked="checked"' came from (in fact I'd like to know how to interpret: ? 'checked="checked"' : ''). Is that another way to use class?

I need to take back my last post and instead ask how checked="checked" can be worked into a class and how to interpret the question mark and colon in <?php echo isset($_POST['mycheckbox1']) ? 'checked="checked"' : ''; ?>

I found the ternary reference.I can't imagine, though, how to work some part of <?php echo isset($_POST['mycheckbox3']) ? 'checked="checked"' : ''; ?> into a class (post #9).

Archived