Documented crimes

deck.hazen

Sorry to start off my first post of such a negative note, but I absolutely must protest the following excerpt from you "HTML attributes reference" : ==========================================Attribute Value Descriptionclass classname Specifies a classname for an elementid id Specifies a unique id for an elementstyle style_definition Specifies an inline style for an elementtitle tooltip_text Specifies extra information about an element (displayed as a tool tip)==========================================This tells me absolutely nothing! -- it might as well be: Bandersnoot - bandersnoot name - specifies a bandersnoot name for an element I went back over the previous pages and found nothing to suggest what class, id, style, or title might be - why they are important - what are their possible values - etc. etc. I'll assume that your editor was out sick that day and push on with a few more pages. Fingers crossed, - Deck

You'll learn about those later. The class attribute specifies a CSS class to apply to an element, which you'll learn about in the CSS tutorials. ID can be used in either Javascript or CSS to refer to a specific element. IDs need to be unique on a page, you can't have more than one element with the same ID. The style attribute is another attribute for CSS, you can use that to give specific styles to an element without assigning an entire CSS class to it. The title attribute is fairly self-explanatory, it's the "title" of a particular element. Browsers will show the title text in a tooltip when you hover over the element. If you put a title on an image, for example, when you hover over the image the title will pop up.In terms of possible values, CSS classnames have to start with a hyphen, underscore or letter, and then are composed of letters, numbers, underscores, and hyphens. The rules are similar for the ID value. For the style attribute, any valid CSS style definition will do. The title is just a string of text.

Remember, this is a reference - while those words may be meaningless to you, they are clearly defined in the progress of the HTML and CSS tutorials, which is generally what you read when you are still learning the various conventions. Then you use the reference as you write your HTML pages. While the text may benefit from some kind of cross-referencing system, I believe that conciseness is still far better than constant redefinition in a document which is supposed to be quick to look up. Or else every entry will be the length of JSG's post, and they will all say exactly the same thing.Balancing between terseness and verbosity is always a challenge, but in this case I am of the opinion, and I suppose this is what the editors felt too, that those terms were sufficiently commonly used to not necessitate an inline definition.

Archived