Combining elements of 2 navigation menus together

psionicsin

Currently my HTML code is this:

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd"><html><head>	<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8">	<title>Ruth Olson Photography</title>	<meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1.0">	<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="css/style.css"/></head><body><div id="wrapper">	<div id="header">		<div id="nav_container">			<ul id="navMenu">					<li><a href="#" class="normalMenu">Home</a></li>					<li><a href="#" class="normalMenu">At A Glance</a></li>					<li><a href="#" class="normalMenu">About Us</a></li>						<ul class="ddsmoothmenu">						<li><a href="#">About Ruth</a></li>						<li><a href="#">About the Staff</a></li>						</ul>					<li><a href="#" class="normalMenu">Gallery</a></li>					<li><a href="#" class="normalMenu">Senior Challenge</a></li>						<ul class="ddsmoothmenu">						<li><a href="#">About the Challenge</a></li>						<li><a href="#">Vote Now</a></li>						</ul>					<li><a href="#" class="normalMenu">Prices</a></li>						<ul class="ddsmoothmenu">						<li><a href="#">Senior</a></li>						<li><a href="#">Children</a></li>						<li><a href="#">Family</a></li>						<li><a href="#">Pets</a></li>						<li><a href="#">Maternity | Newborn</a></li>						<li><a href="#">Promo | Business</a></li>						<li><a href="#">Special Occasion | Wedding</a></li>						<li><a href="#">Products</a></li>						</ul>					<li><a href="#" class="normalMenu">Contact Us</a></li>					<li><a href="#" class="normalMenu">Log-In</a></li>			</ul>		</div>	</div>			<div id="main_container">	</div></div><!-- end wrapper --><div id="footer"><p>Copyright © 2003 - <?php echo date('Y');?> Ruth Olson Photography</p></div><script type="text/javascript" src="js/jquery-1.4.4.min.js"></script><script type="text/javascript" src="js/jquery.ie6blocker.js"></script><script type="text/javascript" src="js/ddsmoothmenu.js"></script><script type="text/javascript" src="js/js_script.js"></script></body></html>

And my CSS:

@charset "utf-8";/* CSS Styling */* {	margin: 0;	padding: 0;}/* Styling the body */body {	margin: 0;	font-size: 62.5%;	font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;	background: url(images/body_bg.png) repeat-x top #c4c0bf;}/* Styling the Header */#wrapper {margin: 0pt auto; background: url(images/header_bg.jpg) no-repeat center top; width: 920px; overflow: hidden;}#header {	margin: 0 auto;	/*height: 68px;*/	height:75px;	/*width: 884px;*/	overflow: hidden;}#facebook {}#twitter {}#rss {}/* Styling the Footer */#footer {	background: #292929;	font-size: 12px;	color: white;	padding: 5px 0 10px 0;	border-top: 2px solid #606060;	text-align: center;}/* Styling the Navigation Menu */#nav_container {	margin: 46px auto 0;	width: 920px;	height: 29px;}ul#navMenu {	/* the unordered list */	height:/*25px*/ 100%;	text-align: center;	font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;	font-size:12px;	font-weight: bold;}ul#navMenu li {	display: inline;	/* changing the display property */	height: 100%;	width: 115px;	float: left;	/* floating the list items to the left */		list-style-type: none;	/* disabling the list icon */	overflow: hidden;	/* hiding the overflowing content */}ul#navMenu li a {	text-decoration:none;	/* removing the underline text-decoration */	display:block;	line-height: 29px;	height:100%;}/* Styling the links */.normalMenu, .normalMenu:visited,.hoverMenu, .hoverMenu:visited,.selectedMenu,.selectedMenu:visited {/* these properties are shared between the classes */	outline:none;	padding:0px 5px;	display:block;}/* Styles that are assigned individually */.hoverMenu,.hoverMenu:visited,.selectedMenu,.selectedMenu:visited {	margin-top:-29px;	background:url(images/grey_bg.gif) repeat-x #eeeeee;	color:#444444;}.selectedMenu,.selectedMenu:visited {	margin:0;}.normalMenu, .normalMenu:visited {	color:white;	font-weight: bold;	background:url(images/dark_bg.gif) repeat-x #444444;}/* Styling the Main Content */#main_container {	height: 540px;	/*width: 800px;	margin-top: 68px;*/	margin:0 25px;}

I'm trying to make the ul class "ddsmoothmenu" fall under it's respective menu section by using this effect from Dynamic Drive.http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex1/ddsmoothmenu.htmI tried a couple of times, but it ended up disastrous. Any ideas on how to implement the sub-menu portion of this menu to my menu?

I know that currently my HTML is correct. I'm just trying to figure out how to rearrange their CSS to make it work to my advantage.I was thinking about:

.ddsmoothmenu ul li {position: absolute;left: 0;display: none;visibility: hidden;}.ddsmoothmenu ul li a{display: list-item;float: none;width: npx;padding: 5px;margin: 0;border-top-width: 0px;border-bottom: 1px solid gray;}

Looking at dynamicdrive coding, you are assigning the class to the wrong element 'ul' when it should be to the outer container 'nav_container' only.you have 3 options.1) change 'nav_container' to 'smoothmenu1' and adjust css styling you already have to reflect the selector name change, and then add the required class.from <div id="nav_container">to<div id="smoothmenu1" class="ddsmoothmenu">2) add class 'ddsmoothmenu' to 'nav_container' and change the javascript to relate to name change<div id="nav_container" class="ddsmoothmenu">as inddsmoothmenu.init({ mainmenuid: "nav_container", //menu DIV id orientation: 'h', //Horizontal or vertical menu: Set to "h" or "v" classname: 'ddsmoothmenu', //class added to menu's outer DIV //customtheme: ["#1c5a80", "#18374a"], contentsource: "markup" //"markup" or ["container_id", "path_to_menu_file"]})OR 3) this may work, just add the menu controlling div inside the nav container<div id="nav_container"><div id="smoothmenu1" class="ddsmoothmenu"><!-- unordered list code --></div></div>

Archived