Table and field of a database?

eduard

At a database Can you say ´products¨ is a table and ´price´ and ´quantity´ are fields?(phpMyAdmin > crate table + ..fields)

if you are just trying to the GUI (point/click) implementation, then the step are pretty.to create a database, click on the databases tab and at the bottom there is input box to give it a name. Once you do that it should appear on the left.If you click on a database there is a structure tab on the right. at the bottom is a similar form to create a table.once you've got a table, you can use the structure again to add rows to it.of course, one can also google for help too, that never hurt anyone.....http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy&hl=...f=p&pdl=300

you can if you write it in SQL....
However, I can add fields to my database (Company) in phpMyAdmin?Description, Price and Quantity are rows or fields?

again...columns == fieldsrows == recordsjust look at boen's picture again if you get confused.
I know (also I´ve seen the diagram again!), but what´s exactly the difference between a column and a row?

column is vertical: |row is horizontal: --edit: and when you are talking about databases, you refer to columns as fields and rows as records.

A row is a collection of values, with one value from each column.Think of it like a spreadsheet, in Excel or any other program. Normally the columns are labeled with letters, so column A, B, C, etc. The rows are numbered. So if you combine them, like A7, then you're talking about the value in column A, row 7. It's the same with a database. You can think of a database as a spreadsheet, where the spreadsheet columns are your database fields and the spreadsheet rows are the database records.

column is vertical: |row is horizontal: --edit: and when you are talking about databases, you refer to columns as fields and rows as records.
:)

A row is a collection of values, with one value from each column.Think of it like a spreadsheet, in Excel or any other program. Normally the columns are labeled with letters, so column A, B, C, etc. The rows are numbered. So if you combine them, like A7, then you're talking about the value in column A, row 7. It's the same with a database. You can think of a database as a spreadsheet, where the spreadsheet columns are your database fields and the spreadsheet rows are the database records.
Thanks! But the problem is: I´ve never used a spreadsheet (I´am sorry!)

Well, then open a spreadsheet and play around with it. You can download a program at openoffice.org.
I learned it at highschool, but I don´t know if the description, price and quantity of a product are on the lrft side of the table (products) or on top i. o. w. rows or columns?

It could be either. A database table doesn't have a "left" and "top", it's just a collection of data. You can visualize it as a table with the column names across the top and the rows going down vertically, but you could also visualize it as a table with the columns going down the left and the rows going out horizontally. Whatever makes sense to you. If we were talking about spreadsheets then I would say the column names go across the top, but if you don't know what a spreadsheet is then that doesn't matter.

It could be either. A database table doesn't have a "left" and "top", it's just a collection of data. You can visualize it as a table with the column names across the top and the rows going down vertically, but you could also visualize it as a table with the columns going down the left and the rows going out horizontally. Whatever makes sense to you. If we were talking about spreadsheets then I would say the column names go across the top, but if you don't know what a spreadsheet is then that doesn't matter.
But how about the computer?

Sorry, I read your edit just now! Thanks!

But how about the computer?
The actual storage engines which save and read the data vary in how they store it. Some storage engines store the data in terms of "pages", which is neither a row nor a column. Some save the indexes and pages as a tree structure. I'm sure you can even find one that just saves data in text fields in a row/column format, but there are more efficient ways to store a lot of data that you're trying to search through quickly.

Archived