WMV file ok in IE but not in FF

SillyBilly

I converted a flv file, using Format Factory that my sister created, to wmv format to include on the family web site. I ran the file from my computer in IE8, which launched it in Windows Media Player. I tried to run it in FF3, but another tab opens with no video. There is a Play button at the bottom that does not work. The window reads "Ready" just above the Play . . .Here is the code to summon the video.

<p>To view a video of Mum created by one of her daughters in 2011, <a href="pictures/Mum2011.wmv"> Click Here</a></p>
I read about using "object data", but am not certain how to write the code or if it is necessary.Please point me in the right direction for the appropriate code to open the video in Windows Media Player from FF.Thanks,

It might be a preferences setting in how FF associates file types with applications.

try

<object classid="CLSID:22d6f312-b0f6-11d0-94ab-0080c74c7e95" codebase="http://activex.microsoft.com/activex/controls/mplayer/en/nsmp2inf.cab#Version=5,1,52,701" type="application/x-oleobject" name="WMPplayer" width="600" height="460" standby="Loading Microsoft¨ Windows¨ Media Player components..." id="WMPplayer9"><param name="filename" value="pictures/Mum2011.wmv"><param name="autostart" value="true"><param name="defaultframe" value="slide"><param name="audiostream" value="-1"><param name="showcontrols" value="1"><param name="showstatusbar" value="1"><param name="showdisplay" value="0"><embed src="pictures/Mum2011.wmv" width="600" height="460" autostart="true" type="application/x-mplayer2" name="WMPplayer" pluginspage="http://www.microsoft.com/windows/mediaplayer/en/default.asp" transparentatstart="1" controltype="2" showcontrols="1" showdisplay="0" showstatusbar="1" autorewind="true" defaultframe="slide" filename="pictures/Mum2011.wmv"></embed></object>

you may have to adjust width 600 height 460 to you needs.

I understand that Windows Media Player is installed with Windows XP, Vista, and 7. I am trying to have the video open without too much effort on behalf of the reader, since not all are computer literate.Windows Media PlayerW3Schools lists the embed tag as deprecated. "Note: The <embed> tag is deprecated. The World Wide Web Consortium (W3C) recommend using the <object> tag instead." Thus I don' t want to us the the embed tag.embed tag is deprecatedI have a plug-in for WMV in FFI changed the file extension to avi and now in FF after clicking on the link, A window opens AskingI presume that this is all the code I need as long as I change the directions to "Click Here and open with Windows Media Player" when asked.Thanks for your efforts.Do you have any comments?

BY converting from flv to wmv, is in my opinion is going backwards, 99% of browsers will have flash installed to playback flv, and you can convert wmv and avi to this format free, using mov, wmv, avi means you have to use code specific for these file types, and user may not use the same player to playback these files, you can define how the player looks and works in flash , and this will be the same in all browsers.The code i provided was code i used many years ago, where embed was required to run wmv on ff for example, but it still works. with crappy IE, they use classid, type, and codebase references to playback specific types, so the code below is for wmv only.the new code using object only would be

<object classid="CLSID:22d6f312-b0f6-11d0-94ab-0080c74c7e95" codebase="http://activex.microsoft.com/activex/controls/mplayer/en/nsmp2inf.cab#Version=5,1,52,701" type="application/x-oleobject" name="WMPplayer" width="600" height="460" standby="Loading Microsoft¨ Windows¨ Media Player components..." id="WMPplayer9"><param name="filename" value="pictures/Mum2011.wmv"><param name="autostart" value="true"><param name="defaultframe" value="slide"><param name="audiostream" value="-1"><param name="controller" value="true" /><object type="video/x-ms-wmv" data="pictures/Mum2011.wmv" width="600" height="460" ><param name="autostart" value="true"><param name="defaultframe" value="slide"><param name="audiostream" value="-1"><param name="controller" value="true" /><param name="showstatusbar" value="1"></object></object>

Thank you for your help. I wanted to open the video in Windows Media Player rather than have it embedded in the page.

Please point me in the right direction for the appropriate code to open the video in Windows Media Player from FF.
I tried different codes and settled on the flv extension that "dsonesuk" advised. I added a statement about allowing the file to play if a dialogue box appears. I'll be asking the family to test the added video.
To view a video of Mum created by one of her daughters in 2011,<a href="pictures/Mum2011.flv"> Click Here</a>

Archived