Openning a new browser window without being detected as a popup

JORGEMAL

I am openning a new browser window using window.open() and it is detected as a popup which means that it is automatically blocked. Of course, a message is received so the user can allow popups temporarily or definetely for a site. Is there any way to open such a new window and not being detected as a popup?I need to achieve this because not all users know how to handle popups and this situation may seem that there is a problem with my site.I will very much appreciate for any workaround (or idea) to this issue.Respectfully,Jorge Maldonado

What exactly are you using the popups for? You may just want a link to open in the same window, or maybe it's good enough to make Javascript show a box when an element is clicked.

The alerts for pop-up windows exist for a reason. It is good practice to assume your users are intelligent and capable of making their own decisions. It is also very easy for a user to click a button when a pop-up tries to open. Please do not try to work around this process. The tendency is for browser manufacturers to enforce policies more, not less.

What exactly are you using the popups for? You may just want a link to open in the same window, or maybe it's good enough to make Javascript show a box when an element is clicked.
The new window is a complement to the main one, it shows a form so the user is able to input additional information. This is why I do not want it to be considered a popup.I am going to try a link as you suggest.Best regards,Jorge Maldonado

The new window is a complement to the main one, it shows a form so the user is able to input additional information. This is why I do not want it to be considered a popup.I am going to try a link as you suggest.Best regards,Jorge Maldonado
does this mean they will "go back" to the main one ?then i suggest a "CSS window" - meaning a hidden <div> as a "popup window".

Many libraries (including jQuery) have techniques for simulating modal dialogs, and many tutorials exist for creating your own. There are several advantages to going this route. One, obviously, is that the result is less confusing for the user. Another is that it eliminates the process of exchanging data between windows. You have probably seen the technique used on dozens of sites that you visit regularly.A simple search pulls up a lot of options.

Browsers generally block popup when they happen without user interaction. If you have a window that opens when the page loads, for example, it's probably going to be blocked. If you have a window that opens when a user clicks a link or button then it probably won't be blocked, because the user initiated it.

Browsers generally block popup when they happen without user interaction. If you have a window that opens when the page loads, for example, it's probably going to be blocked. If you have a window that opens when a user clicks a link or button then it probably won't be blocked, because the user initiated it.
No true, at least in FF. The application I'm currently working on used to use new windows that would open when a user clicked a link. When I tested it out on a user's machine, FireFox blocked the new window, forcing me to explicitly add an exception in the popup blocker. It's an intranet app, so that wasn't a big deal, but I still wouldn't want to do that for each and every user. So I went with the "embedded window" approach. A div shown/hidden with javascript.

Archived