speeding up variable assignments

niche

I'm using information from 4 tables. This info is used to assign data to many variables where each assignment is a line of code. What techniques, approaches, concepts are available that can significantly reduce the time it would take to make these variable assignments other than simply reducing the amount of data I'm using through elimination or combining variables?

Thought about that. In fact, woke-up this morning thinking I could aggregate the needed info in a single column and take it apart in a loop, but decided that was probably no different than a loop and mysql_fetch_array. Right?

If you access the data frequently and it doesn't change very option, one option would be to build a data structure like an object or array and store the serialized version in the database. You can read that string and unserialize it all at once back into a data structure. Whenever the data changes you'll need to create the new data structure and update the database with the serialized version.

Looks promising. I'll check it out. Thanks to ShadowMage, justsomeguy, and thescientist.

Archived