Connecting Js To Php - Solved With Thanks

niche

I need to create a dynamic link. My link is: <a href="javascript:void(0);" onclick="miniatures()">miniatures</a> My js function (so far): function miniatures() {var selection = "miniatures";//send js var to php var//call header} How do I send the value in a js var to a php var? How do I call a header in javascript (load a url)?

Thanks for your help JSG.I figured out how to send and use data as part a url (first time working with the $_GET array), but I haven't found the way to turn a js var into a php var with ajax. Can you direct me to the appropriate part of the ajax tutorial? I don't see the part that turns a js var into a php var?

well, you make a request to the script. in the url you pass parameters, which are name/value pairs. i.e

www.mydomain.com/myscript.php?param1=somevalue&param2=someothervalue//orxmlHttpObj.open('GET','myscript.php?param1=somevalue&param2=someothervalue',false)

so, if you are making an AJAX request (POST/GET), or even just an HTTP request via the browsers address bar (only GET), then they are available to the script that way.

<?php$param1 = $_GET['param1'];$param2 = $_GET['param2']; echo $param1;  //displays 'somevalue'echo $param2;  //displays 'someothervalue' ?> 

if you use AJAX w/POST, then obviously you have to switch to POST in your script instead.

Archived