Ive gone so wrong, can someone shoot me

chownsy

Okay, so I made a very basic layout with HTML combined with a bit of stylesheet in the <> to make it look reasonable. I have now deceided to take it to the next level and go CSS route. Read the guides but now I cannot make the site look anywhere near like what the CSS did. Could someone, preferably with msn give me some help on this. I know I'm making some stupid errors. Richard

I suggest you read html, html5 and css tutorials, as at present this is one big mess No doctype declaration for html5<html><head><meta http-equiv="Content-Language" content="en-gb"><meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=windows-1252"><title>A Chowns Agricultural Services</title><meta name="keywords" content="chowns, agricultural, services, "><link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="style.css" /><style type="text/css">body{background-color:#C00000;width:1000px;align:center; /*no such styling*/}h1,p{background-color:#FFFFCC;color:#000000;font-family:"Arial";font-style:normal;font-size:0.8em;text-align:"center"; /* invalid use of quotes */width:20%;margin:1%;height:5%;padding:0.5%;border:5px solid #000000;border-style:solid;/* already defined above */}h2,h3{background-color:#FFFFCC;color:#000000;align:right; /*no such styling*/font-family:"Arial";font-style:normal;font-size:"0.8em"; /* invalid use of quotes */text-align:"center"; /* invalid use of quotes */width:250px;margin:1px;height:20px;padding:5px;border:5px solid #000000;border-style:solid;}marquee{background-color:#FFFFCC;color:#000000;font-family:"Arial";font-style:normal;font-size:"1.5em";/* invalid use of quotes */text-align:"center";/* invalid use of quotes */width:100%;margin:1%;height:6%;padding:0.5%;border:5px solid #000000;border-style:solid; /* already defined above */scrollamount:10; /* no such thing in css */direction:left;/* no such thing in css */}h4{background-color:#FFFFCC;color:#000000;font-family:"Arial";font-style:normal;font-size:"0.5em"; /* invalid use of quotes */text-align:"center";/* invalid use of quotes */width:100%;margin:1%;height:6%;padding:0.5%;border:5px solid #000000;border-style:solid;/* already defined above */scrollamount:10; /* no such thing in css */direction:left;/* no such thing in css */}p2 /* no such thing a p2 element*/{background-color:#FFFFCC;color:#000000;font-family:"Arial";font-style:normal;font-size:"20em"; /* invalid use of quotes */text-align:"center"; /* invalid use of quotes */width:250px;margin:1px;height:20px;padding:5px;}</style></head><body><header>image goes here</header><marquee>Welcome to site goes here - scrolling accross.</marquee><div><h1>Home</h1><h1>About Us</h1><h1>Services Offered</h1><h1>Area Covered</h1><h1>Gallery</h1></div><div><h2 align="Right"> <!--align="Right" is invalid -->Right - contains contact info</h2><div> <!--should be closing div --><div><h3 align="right"><!--align="Right" is invalid -->Center - contains all the main images and text</h3><div><!--should be closing div --><marquee>important seasonal info goes here</marquee><h4><p2><!-- no such element as p2 -->copyright 2012</p2></br> <!-- closed wrong should be <br /> -->designed and coded by Richard Chowns</h4></body></html> <h1> to <h6> should only contain header/title text, you should not use to hold main content of page, that is what the div, or for html5, <article> and <section> elements with <p> used to separate the paragraphed text only, and so the <p> should not be used within the <h1> to <h6> header elements.

That true! it is even worse, but if you read the tutorials as i suggested, you be able to understand how html and css work together to produce the design you require, and identify any mistakes and correct them, also validating your page at http://validator.w3.org/ will help, but! first you need to chose your declaration of <!doctype> for starters http://www.w3schools...ag_doctype.asp.

Archived