accumulating $_POST SOLVED with our thanks in last post

niche

I thought this code would allow me to accumulate separate $_POST inputs, but it won't cycle on the first condition. Any ideas? Is there a better way to test for whether an array is set? code:

if (isset($curacc2)) {  echo "here1";    $curacc2 = array_merge($curacc2,$_POST);} else {  echo "here2";  $curacc2 = $_POST;}echo var_dump($curacc2) . '<br/>'; 

I could just merge $_POST to $_SESSION and accumulate them there, but I'd like to send them to an array dedicated to only accumulating inputs to $_POST. Is there another "$_SESSION - type" array that's available in php? EDIT: What about the $_COOKIE array?

Maybe the answer is to create a multidimensional in $_SESSION. If that's possible, how would I add $_POST as a different dimension in $_SESSION? I've never created a new dimension from an array.

That's what I was thinking. Please see post #4. How do I do that?

Thanks. EDIT: $_SESSION['post'] is the first position. What's the notation for the second?

I don't know what you mean by "accumulate". That code copies everything that is in $_POST into $_SESSION['post'] and overwrites what is already there. If $_POST is empty, then $_SESSION['post'] will be empty. If that's not what you're trying to do, explain exactly what you're going for. If you want to have statements on multiple pages that all process $_POST, and you want to collect all of those values from all submissions into one array, then you do use array_merge for that.

if (!isset($_SESSION['post']))  $_SESSION['post'] = array();$_SESSION['post'] = array_merge($_SESSION['post'], $_POST);

Thanks justsomeguy. Works like a charm. Though I've forgotten what the difference is between !isset() and isset()?

Thanks. What's the offset for the second element in the $_SESSION['post'] dimension? I thought this would work, but it didn't:

if (isset($_SESSION['post'][2])) {  echo $_SESSION['post'][2];  echo "HERE"; }

I suppose it's not. I thought you could access an indexed array through offsets. Is there a function to convert indexed to numeric or access an indexed with offsets?

Indexed is numeric, associative is when the names are strings. You can use a foreach loop if you want to loop through the array and add the items to an indexed array. You can also use the array_values function to get just the values and lose the keys.

Thank-you very much for your help justsomeguy and astraaron. array_values() did the final trick. I can begin to put multidimensional arrays under my belt.

Archived