IP Board Forum & SEO Effect [Need Help]

mremorocks

Hi Guyz., i thing ip board is nice as a paid forum software. I have a community running on ip board. I have a problem. the community site is restricted to guest. so only logged members can view the topic, reply etc.But there is a problem the site is not seem on search engine. is it because of this guest restriction. It is not a new forum site. it has about 50+ active members and I have configurated all other settings from admin panel Help me out :facepalm:

Edited by mremorocks
  • Like 2

You have to add your website to the search engines. Search google for "List website on SEARCHENGINE" (where SEARCHENGINE is google, yahoo, bing etc). You'll find the locations where you can add your website there.

Guest So Called

If guests can't view your forum then neither can web crawlers. You're wasting your time trying to get on Google (etc.) until you allow guests (and web crawlers) to view your forums and topics and posts. You should visit IP Board's support forum for information on how to configure your forum to allow guest viewing.

You have to add your website to the search engines. Search google for "List website on SEARCHENGINE" (where SEARCHENGINE is google, yahoo, bing etc). You'll find the locations where you can add your website there.
i have already done that

If guests can't view your forum then neither can web crawlers. You're wasting your time trying to get on Google (etc.) until you allow guests (and web crawlers) to view your forums and topics and posts. You should visit IP Board's support forum for information on how to configure your forum to allow guest viewing.
i know about activating guest view. but i want only logged members to view the community i think you are right web crawlers can't find the content

Guest So Called
i know about activating guest view. but i want only logged members to view the community i think you are right web crawlers can't find the content
You are going to either have to: (1) allow guests to view your content, or (2) convince the web crawlers to create accounts and log in. (which is impossible) What you don't seem to understand is that web crawlers are guests.

You are going to either have to: (1) allow guests to view your content, or (2) convince the web crawlers to create accounts and log in. (which is impossible) What you don't seem to understand is that web crawlers are guests.
Then i have a doubt. for example take this forum (hackforums.net) they do not allow guest view but there post are on google search. watch this screenshot
1Vv2.png

You can give a bot to access for guest viewing only. but you have to detect it as bots and also you have to detect that no real user can reach the content. detecting bots has many ways but none of them can give you 100% assurance.

Guest So Called

Well there is a way to do that but you'll be doing something stupid if you do it. You detect web crawlers and then give them access that you do not give to ordinary guests. Your script will have to be clever enough to identify the web crawlers. The problem is that it's against Google's TOS and if they catch you doing that they will penalize you, might even drop your search result listings entirely. And they do have stealth web crawlers that check up on sites to make sure that ordinary guests can see the same thing as web crawlers. I've spotted stealth web crawlers from Google, MSN, Yahoo and many others. They do not use the same user agent as their web crawler (they fake IE and FF and Opera etc.) and they use a different domain, not google.com or yahoo.com etc. I tracked down the stealth 'bots to domains that google, yahoo etc. own, so that's how I know whose 'bots they are. The purpose of web crawlers and search engines is to lead the public to data they're seeking. If the search leads to a forum that you have to join to see the posts then the public gets pissed off, and they complain to the search engines and that annoys them because it's a customer satisfaction issue. Their way of dealing with it is to penalize the site, and the penalty is often total removal from the listings. So if you want to do that then be my guest, but don't come crying here if one day you disappear entirely from the search results. You have been warned.

Edited by So Called

Guest So Called

I sometimes see visitors on my site pretending to be Google or Yahoo. I don't let them view my content. If they can't be honest about their UA string then they're not welcome.

I was not aware of google TOS. if it is like that. it would be best not to mess with google. another option could be revealing the topic's original post be public but not the answer. at least bots can know and see what is all the page about.

If the search leads to a forum that you have to join to see the posts then the public gets pissed off
I have seen some of them and honestly it is too iritating

Guest So Called

I've found a few sites like that too, Google led me there but I had to join to read the topic. I just skipped to the next result but I could have reported them to Google. I've been SEO optimizing my site for 2-3 years now, and after all the work I've done to get indexed on as many sites as possible I've discovered that over 90% of my SE referrals come from Google. I have good page rankings at Bing, Yahoo, etc. but nobody sends me visitors as frequently as Google. My conclusion is that most people use Google when they want to search. The lesson: Don't mess with Google. They're the biggest SE out there and if other people have the same results as I have had then you do not want to be on the bad side of the most popular search engine. BTW my opinion is that if you optimize for Google you'll probably be near optimal for Yahoo, Bing and the others too. It makes things simple. Just optimize for Google and the rest of them will send you whatever traffic they will.

Edited by So Called

I was not aware of google TOS. if it is like that. it would be best not to mess with google. another option could be revealing the topic's original post be public but not the answer. at least bots can know and see what is all the page about. I have seen some of them and honestly it is too iritating
is there any option like that in ipb

Guest So Called
Which? An option to be too irritating or an option to have the search engines drop all your search results because you violated their TOS? I'm amused here because you just don't seem to get it. You don't seem to understand that search engines send you traffic, but you have to play by their rules if you want their traffic. You seem to want to run an annoying site. Good luck.

probably have. i am not sure about that. you can tweak that though if you have the source code. i had implemented that but that was custom forum apps which i developed from scratch.