PaulGardinerLP

Hey guys, I have just validated all my HTML pages for a web site I am working using the W3C validator. I thought I would run my CSS file through the CSS validator and was presented with lots of errors. Many of the errors that were displayed read something like this, "Property -moz-transform doesn't exist : translateY(-100px)". (Giving lots of "property" errors) Without these properties, I don't think I can achieve the desired effects using CSS in another way. I am new to web design/development so I'm still learning some of the basics. My question: Is the W3C CSS validator up to date? I am sure that I have seen some of the properties I have used demonstrated on this website (W3Schools). So surely they are valid? Thanks in advance for any replies. Paul.

Whenever I have a problem with the validator, I re-create the problem in a small script. Then I strip it down, ID the specific problem, and post that bit of code. Please post that re-created version that demos that problem.

Technically, the property -moz-transform doesn't exist. Unless you're using FireFox. Any property with a vendor prefix (-moz, -ms, -o, -webkit) is going to be "invalid" according to the validator because those aren't standard properties. They are vendor specific properties. However, due to the current "work-in-progress" status of CSS 3, it is necessary and "valid" to use these properties if you want to use the new features of CSS 3. Even if you do not use CSS 3, there are a few properties (such as filter for IE, which is commonly used for opacity in IE8 and down) that are vendor specific and will not validate. It is for this reason that I can't imagine many people do actually validate their CSS. I never do, at least.

• Like 1

Whenever I have a problem with the validator, I re-create the problem in a small script. Then I strip it down, ID the specific problem, and post that bit of code. Please post that re-created version that demos that problem.
I will keep this in mind for future posts. Thank you.
Technically, the property -moz-transform doesn't exist. Unless you're using FireFox. Any property with a vendor prefix (-moz, -ms, -o, -webkit) is going to be "invalid" according to the validator because those aren't standard properties. They are vendor specific properties. However, due to the current "work-in-progress" status of CSS 3, it is necessary and "valid" to use these properties if you want to use the new features of CSS 3. Even if you do not use CSS 3, there are a few properties (such as filter for IE, which is commonly used for opacity in IE8 and down) that are vendor specific and will not validate. It is for this reason that I can't imagine many people do actually validate their CSS. I never do, at least.
Thank you. I will also keep this in mind when validating any CSS/3 files in the future.