turn off all error reporting SOLVED with thanks

niche

According to the manual http://php.net/manua...r-reporting.php this turns off all error reporting presumably when I put this at the top of my script:

error_reporting(0);

However, I received an error (with filename ref) when I created a parse error with the above code at the top of my script.. How do I turn-off all error reporting in a script?

Edited by niche

That's how you turn of error reporting in a script. The problem is that if you have a parse error it never runs the script to turn off error reporting. Your other options are php.ini or htaccess. Turning off errors is not a great idea though. It's a much better idea to have it log errors and not display them, then at least you can review the log to look for problems.

I changed display_errors to off, but the parse error persists. I'm mostly concerned with the display of the filename ref. How do I turn-off all error displays from the ini? I left the log_errors on.

The display_errors option controls if PHP sends error messages to the browser. Again, it doesn't do any good to set that in a file if you have a parse error (although you should never have deployed code which contains parse errors anyway). It's usually enough to set those options in a common include file. If you're deploying code that has parse errors then your job isn't done yet. This section describes how to change options: http://www.php.net/manual/en/configuration.php

I know better than that. As I said in the OP, I [purposely] created the error [for testing]. Anyway, based on your #2, will parse error always display? If so, I'll need to create a different kind of error for testing.

Very cool jsg. I looked at my php_error.log for the first time too. Like Spock says, "For everything there is a first time.". I also suppressed errors from my .htaccess with this code:

# supress php errorsphp_flag display_startup_errors offphp_flag display_errors offphp_flag html_errors offphp_value docref_root 0php_value docref_ext 0# enable PHP error loggingphp_flag  log_errors onphp_value error_log  "your path here"