javaScript for loop termination problem

pmingione

Hi All,I'm sure this is a relatively simple problem. I hope someone with more javaScript knowledge than me can solve it. I need to be able to iterate with a for-loop over all of the input check-boxes in this table row to determine if any are checked. <tr id="hurricane_damage"><td valign="top" width="183"><span id="label_courses">What type of damage did your business incur as a result of Hurricane Sandy? Please check all that apply:*</span></td><td valign="top" colspan="2" width="366"><div><input id="subform_hurricane_damage_1" type="checkbox" value="Fire" name="Huricane Damage"/><span><b>Fire</b></span></div><div><input id="subform_hurricane_damage_2" type="checkbox" value="Flooding"/><span><b>Flooding</b></span></div><div><input id="subform_hurricane_damage_3" type="checkbox" value="Wind Damage"/><span><b>Wind Damage</b></span></div><div><input id="subform_hurricane_damage_4" type="checkbox" value="Inventory Loss"/><span><b>Inventory Loss</b></span></div><div><input id="subform_hurricane_damage_5" type="checkbox" value="Other" onclick="showHideOther()"/><span><b>Other</b></span></div><span id="hurricane_damage_errMsg" class="hide">Please choose at least one category.</span></td></tr> My problem is I don't know how to detect the number of check-boxes in the table row so that the for loop can terminate. (Each table row in the form will not necessarily have the same number of check boxes.)i.e.for(var i = 0; i == number_of_check_boxes; i++) Either a javaScript or a jQuery solution would be acceptable.Thanks in advance.

var inputs = document.getElementById("hurricane_damage").getElementsByTagName("input");

That will get you a collection of all inputs that are descendants of #hurricane_damage. Loop through that. Note that if you have other kinds of inputs, you'll have to test the type attribute to be sure you examine only checkboxes.

Edited by Deirdre's Dad

You can use getElementsByTagName to get all inputs. If there are other inputs then you can check the type to make sure they're checkboxes.

var tr = document.getElementById('hurricane_damage');var inputs = tr.getElementsByTagName('input');var str;for (var i = 0; i < inputs.length; i++){  if (inputs[i].type == 'checkbox')  {    str = 'checkbox ' + inputs[i].id + ' is ' + (inputs[i].checked ? 'checked' : 'not checked');    alert(str);  }}

Use form elements collection, you are not then restricted to form elements of tag name 'input'

<!DOCTYPE html><html><body><form id="frm1" action="form_action.asp">  First name: <input type="text" name="fname" value="Donald"><br>  Last name: <input type="text" name="lname" value="Duck"><br><div><input id="subform_hurricane_damage_1" type="checkbox" value="Fire" name="Huricane Damage"/><span><b>Fire</b></span></div><div><input id="subform_hurricane_damage_2" type="checkbox" value="Flooding"/><span><b>Flooding</b></span></div><div><input id="subform_hurricane_damage_3" type="checkbox" checked="checked" value="Wind Damage"/><span><b>Wind Damage</b></span></div><div><input id="subform_hurricane_damage_4" type="checkbox" checked="checked" value="Inventory Loss"/><span><b>Inventory Loss</b></span></div><div><input id="subform_hurricane_damage_5" type="checkbox" value="Other" onclick="showHideOther()"/><span><b>Other</b></span></div><select name="selectelem"><option value="value1">value 1</option><option value="value2" selected="selected">value 2</option><option value="value3">value 3</option></select><textarea name="textareaelem">this is the textarea value</textarea>  <input type="submit" value="Submit"></form><p>Return the value of each element in the form:</p><script>var x=document.getElementById("frm1");var inputs = x.getElementsByTagName('input');  document.write("<h3>By Form Elements Collection</h3>");for (var i=0;i<x.length;i++)  {if(x.elements[i].checked && x.elements[i].type == "checkbox"){  document.write(x.elements[i].value+" checked");  document.write("<br>");}else{  document.write(x.elements[i].value);  document.write("<br>");}  }document.write("<hr>");  document.write("<h3>getElementsByTagName</h3>");for (var i=0;i<inputs.length;i++)  {if(inputs[i].checked && inputs[i].type == "checkbox"){  document.write(inputs[i].value+" checked");  document.write("<br>");}else{  document.write(inputs[i].value);  document.write("<br>");}  }</script></body></html>