Web page different in IE and Firefox

SillyBilly

I am using absolute positioning to create Family Trees. I originally coded for IE. The page does not display the same in Firefox. I now realize that I should have coded for Firefox and then tried to write some code so that it displays properly in IE. I can write the code so that it displays properly in FF, but in IE it does not display the same. The link to one of the pages is below. The problem with this page is the horizontal line above the last three names, and the vertical lines leading to the names. In IE it is positioned correctly, but in FF the line is too short. When I correct the line positioning in FF, the line is too long in IE. The trees with more names and lines display poorly in one or the other browser depending on which I coded for. http://www3.sympatic...r/margaret.html

Edited by SillyBilly

Use float instead for your positioning.
Thanks for your reply. I do not use div on the page, so float does not seem to be a solution unless I am mistaken. I read this on the W3Schools site; Definition and UsageThe float property specifies whether or not a box (an element) should float.Note: Absolutely positioned elements ignores the float property! I found a remedy by using the HTML code – (en dash) rather than the underscore on the keyboard or the HTML code — (em dash). This works on my computer, so I assume it will work when I upload the new file. I'll report back.

I must correct one of my statements in post #3 and apologize if I mislead anyone. I did use containers and divs on the page. However, the float property is ignored when absolute positioning is used. Below is an example of the use of a div with absolute positioning that is problematic; <div class="branch" style="position:absolute;top:269px;left:209px;">_________________________________________________</div> Since I have the page displayed as I intend, I'll leave it as it is. I intend to do some rewriting of the code, so I will try to use the float property rather than absolute positioning as "niche" has suggested.

Edited by SillyBilly