Scroll bars missing from tutorials

Guest chaos666

Guest chaos666

Ummm... I looked through the css tutorials and i didnt find a thing on how to customize scrollbars. So..... anyone wanna tell me if its their and im missing it, or is it missing from the tutorials???

It's probably not there because this is a Microsoft only thing, it will only work in internet explorer.

<head><style>html {scrollbar-base-color: #9999cc;scrollbar-arrow-color: white;scrollbar-track-color: #ccccff;scrollbar-shadow-color: black;scrollbar-lightshadow-color: black; scrollbar-darkshadow-color: gray;scrollbar-highlight-color: white;scrollbar-3dlight-color: black;}</style></head>

scrollbars are only customisable in explorer, as its a microsoft only tag and them trying to bend the standards..which they shouldn't do.so..in my opinion, avoid microsoft only tags, then your site will look the same in all browsers and therefore display correctly to everyone:)

I aggree, but limited.I think it actually should be standard, scrollbars te bo customisable, not those of the _top window, but of shaped elements (enabling scrollbars inside the document) and other scrollbars like in frames. Those do not take part of the window, which actually must NOT be customisable.Programmers may edit everything af their site, within the window but let the window itself be for what the user has set. The user is responsible for the windows, you for the content, the site within the window. :)But scott and real_illusions are right, for that this is Internet Explorer code ONLY. :)Additionally, even this code is available in windows XP, it still is in windows 98 style. Not possible to get 3D colored face, nor the tiny grab pixels at its center, or smooth angles.

Edited by Dan The Prof

them trying to bend the standards..which they shouldn't do.

I don't quite agree with this, that they shouldn't try to bend the standards as you put it.http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default..../attributes.aspYou'll notice, Microsoft do propose ideas for the css spesification to the World Wide Web Consortium. I also think scrollbars should be customisable for content within the site content, so as not to break with layout. Say you have a div within your site that has an ugly gray scrollbar. You'd want to change that, just like people a few years ago desired to change the dull gray html button element for form layouts, and they can change that, so why not a scrollbar? The browser-makers should be able to make the main scrollbar not answer to css spesifications.

I don't quite agree with this, that they shouldn't try to bend the standards as you put it.http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default..../attributes.aspYou'll notice, Microsoft do propose ideas for the css spesification to the World Wide Web Consortium. I also think scrollbars should be customisable for content within the site content, so as not to break with layout. Say you have a div within your site that has an ugly gray scrollbar. You'd want to change that, just like people a few years ago desired to change the dull gray html button element for form layouts, and they can change that, so why not a scrollbar? The browser-makers should be able to make the main scrollbar not answer to css spesifications.

i wasn't aware of microsoft proposing attributes to W3C...so..my comment wasn't really based on any truth..just my opinion of how i see things.. :)anyway...now that you and a Dan the prof have said so, the ability to change the scroll bar in a scrollable div within the site would be good, but not the entire window.

So, to return to your question, did you mean to customise the inside scrollbars, or those of the window? With the last we can't (won't) help, but the first, see the first reply :)

Speak for yourself please dan, who says we won't help?? If someone want's to change the scrollbars on their page that's their decission. As long as we make it clear to them that this is an IE only customization, what they then choose to do is up to them.Anyway, the code i gave in the first reply changes the window scrollbar so by saying we can't help is not true, because i did :)

Speak for yourself please dan, who says we won't help??  If someone want's to change the scrollbars on their page that's their decission.  As long as we make it clear to them that this is an IE only customization, what they then choose to do is up to them.Anyway, the code i gave in the first reply changes the window scrollbar so by saying we can't help is not true, because i did  :)

I was thinking the samething...they can do whatever they like...it is their webpage!