Where to start?

BugzyB

Hello everyone, first time poster. I have a basic idea of HTML/CSS, but when it comes to learning javascript... I become instantly lost. I dont know wha it is that I dont understand, but I am determined to find a way to learn web development. My main question is "whats one of the better online schools, or schools in general to go for web development?" I dont want to learn some half assed web development, I would like to learn the fundamentals involved to be able to learn newer technologies/languages as they come along. A friend of mine codes in coldfusion, which is far from the basics. I have asked him for help, but he hasnt done anything "basic for so long and he doesnt have much time to help me learn being that he is busy and was self taught. If anyone can help out, please lend me some advice. Thank you

Javascript is just a regular programming language, if you want to learn how to program then any school that teaches computer science can help you. HTML and CSS are not programming languages, that's the difference that you're seeing between them and Javascript. If you know general computer science theory then you can apply it to Javascript, or any other programming language (such as PHP, C#, etc; you might even be able to find a school that uses Javascript as the intro language, rather than C/C++ or Java). The major thing that a general computer science course wouldn't teach you with regard to Javascript is how the language interacts with the web page, but that's easy enough to pick up if you know how to program. The interface between Javascript and the web page is the Document Object Model or DOM. If you're taking a course that deals specifically with Javascript then you'll also learn about the DOM, if you're taking general computer science classes then you'll need to look at the DOM on your own to help you pick up Javascript.

Self-directed learning is all about purpose. Find a reason for a website that's important to you and create it. Whether or not it has js will depend on your purpose.

Hello everyone, first time poster. I have a basic idea of HTML/CSS, but when it comes to learning javascript... I become instantly lost. I dont know what it is that I dont understand...
You don't mention whether you are familiar with general programming concepts. Are you confused about programming or are you confused about the specifics of Javascript on a webpage?
<!DOCTYPE html><html lang="en"><head><title>Title</title><script>window.onload = function(){var out = document.getElementById('out');var inp = document.getElementById('inp');out.innerHTML = '[Initialized]';inp.onchange = update;function update(){out.innerHTML = '[' + inp.value + ']';}}</script></head><body><input type="text" id="inp"/><div id="out"></div></body></html>