what is the replacement for <center>

blogsmith

And scott100, yes. The reason for the style attribute's deprecation is exactly the existance of IDs.

I personally think this stinks to high heavens :) So what is w3 aiming for, a pure xhtml document with only links to external .css and .js ?

I still don't understand why the style attribute would be depreciated, any way. :)

Because the style attribute is really no different than any old attribute from older versions of html, in that it's just as highly impractical when making large pages (many documents), going in to edit single style attributes.
I personally think this stinks to high heavens :) So what is w3 aiming for, a pure xhtml document with only links to external .css and .js ?

I think that's EXACTLY what they are aiming for.HTML: StructureCSS: FormattingJS: Browser scriptingeach in their own documents, with different file extensions. In addition, I like to use a scripting language to include a file called something like head.inc, inside which I have the <script src="" type="text/javascript"></script> and <link ... /> so I can change that in each file by just editing the head.inc file. Edited by Jonas

Of course, but occasional structuring style attributes (such as positioning or dimensioning) should not be forced to stay in the stylesheet, you should be able to have some in the document, my opinion :)

So what is w3 aiming for, a pure xhtml document with only links to external .css and .js ?

Am... yes? I mean, separating content from presentation is their goal after all. XHTML to describe the structure and CSS for the variety of presentations.

I think that's EXACTLY what they are aiming for.HTML: StructureCSS: FormattingJS: Browser scriptingeach in their own documents, with different file extensions.
So <style> in the head is next to go? if it hasn't already...

The align attribute for div is depreciated in html 4, as in xhtml strict.And W3Schools had never said Style is depreciated, can't be. You're probably confused with something else, :)

He said he found a link on these forums to W3C specs that said it was. I can see the pont. If you are just going to use inline styles why not go back to <font>. I think they are pushing towards having all cSS defined in stylesheets and just referenceing hte ids or classes.

The <style> element is meant for per-page data, the same way you're allowed to have JS in the head and/or body even. Before such elements are gone, there is a need for a scriptless mechanism to allow different files to be loaded for sections and per-page data. I can do such thing by using XSLT and there are other ways with JS and and server side scriptings, but there's no possible way of doing this with pure XHTML.So sleep tight. The <style> attribute has a long way to live before it's deprecated.[edit] Actually, I'm a big fat liar. There's already a mechanism for that. You can call multiple links, each containing more and more specific things, as long as they are in order of specificness. For example:

<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="site.css" /><link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="section.css" /><link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="subsection.css" />...<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="page.css" />

So the <style> element is really the next to go. It's only a matter of time until internet and browsers are fast enough for W3C to decide this.[/edit]

But you all forgot the style attribute DOES have an advantage in Xhtml meanings over those presentation elements as font, bold, underline, strike etcetera, namely all those pretentations rubbish in one attribute :)Anyway, I won't use it either for ALL styling statements, but just for the occasional statement that counts for one single element and does not need to be changed ever :) Only for that I don't want it to be depreciated, should be possible to use it like that. :)

HTML: structure.CSS: formatting.JS: browser scripting.But where does the content go? Should that be loaded externally through something like AJAX? Ow wait... that's going to be deprecated to since I've only seen it coded in the <head> section.Something tells me everything but databases and serversided scripting will be dead five years from now. Welcome to the AMP era. ^^

But where does the content go?
XML and (X)HTML in unison.(and of course databases, but it's still come out as xml or html on the client-side.)

HTML: structure.CSS: formatting.JS: browser scripting.But where does the content go? Should that be loaded externally through something like AJAX? Ow wait... that's going to be deprecated to since I've only seen it coded in the <head> section.Something tells me everything but databases and serversided scripting will be dead five years from now. Welcome to the AMP era. ^^

AJAX can be stored in external JS files.