text fade

ohbrother

Hello there, total newbie here im afraid and in need of a bit of help, all i want to do is have some centralised text in h1 but with a gradual fade, the most important thing is that it must work in firefox. Hope my plea makes sense and thank you.

That should be pretty trivial Javascript...

<!DOCTYPE html><html lang="en"><head><meta charset="utf-8"><title>title</title><script>window.onerror = function(m, u, l){alert('Javascript Error: '+m+'nURL: '+u+'nLine Number: '+l);return true;}</script><script>var g={};//globalswindow.onload = fadeaway;function fadeaway(){var elem = document.getElementById('fadeout');if (typeof g.opacity === 'undefined'){g.opacity = 1;elem.style.opacity = '1';elem.style.filter = 'alpha(opacity=100)';setTimeout(fadeaway,1000);}else if (g.opacity>0){g.opacity -= 0.05;elem.style.opacity = g.opacity;elem.style.filter = 'alpha(opacity=' + g.opacity*100 + ')';setTimeout(fadeaway,100);}else{elem.style.opacity = 0;elem.style.filter = 'alpha(opacity=' + 0 + ')';}}</script></head><body><h1 id="fadeout">Old soldiers never die, they just fade away</h1></body></html>
  • Like 1

Well, that looks trickier. CSS3 seems to focus on gradient backgrounds rather than gradient filled text, so your best options may be using the Canvas or SVG.

Ah right, as soon as i find out what that means i'll look into it haha

ps i just started the book 'css web design for dummies' but the author clearly works for Microsoft as he endlessly promotoes IE. Anyway, the query arose from chapter one about filters which includes the code

<html><head><style>div.box {width: 300px; height: 200px; padding: 30px; font: 46pt times new roman;}</style></head><body><div class="box" style=" filter: progid:DXImageTransform.Microsoft.Alpha(Opacity=100,FinishOpacity=0, Style=1, StartX=0, FinishX=0, StartY=0,FinishY=100)">Hey...you can modify opacity.</div></body></html>

but it only works for IE and digging around on the internet i couldn't find anything to make it work on firefox, perhaps i was putting it in the wrong place.

Thanks again for your help by the way.

Edited by ohbrother

http://sysmagazine.com/posts/159017/

<h1>                <svg>                    <defs>                        <linearGradient id="textgradient" x1="0%" x2="0%" y1="0%" y2="100%">                            <stop stop-color="#999" offset="0%"/>                            <stop stop-color="#111" offset="100%"/>                        </linearGradient>                    </defs>                    <text x="0" y="80" fill="url(#textgradient)" stroke="none">Gradient</text>                </svg>            </h1>

you use css to adjust size etc, but not colour obviously, as svg will control that now.

h1 {font-size: 4em; color: red;}

http://css-tricks.com/using-svg/