Background Image Height changing with Screen Size

confused and dazed

Hello Internet,

I am struggling with what I am guessing is a relatively simple concept. I have looked at some tutorials on W3 and did general searches on the internet. The effect I am trying to accomplish it to have the image I supply as a background image scale with the screen size - screen size meaning 100% vs 75% vs 50%. In the attachment the Tan area is an image I want to scale with the screen size.

My primary two constraints are:

1. I want the background color to be a dark gray

2. I also want the tan image that is 1000px wide centered in the screen. The height is irrelevant because it’s the sides that are important to me. The height can be any size. If the screen is at 100% or at 25% the height needs to fill the whole screen.

I have tried many things - height:auto, height:100%, em, divs... many different things.

If you can direct me to a tutorial or help in any way I would appreciate it. I did include a file that shows the effect I am looking for.Screen size.pdf

I dont think you are getting the whole issue here - If I place an image in a DIV container i still have not been able to size the container to fit the screen (height) 100%. I can size the image within the DIV exactly the way I want it - thats not the problem - the problem is sizing the DIV to the screen.

You can only achieve 100% height in html,body tag, and a direct child element of body only using min-height: 100%;, when html and body are given 100% height;.

<!DOCTYPE html><html>    <head>        <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">        <meta name="viewport" id="viewport" content="target-densitydpi=high-dpi,initial-scale=1.0,user-scalable=no" />        <title>Background Image Height changing with Screen Size</title>        <script type="text/javascript" src="//ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery/1.11.0/jquery.min.js"></script>        <script  type="text/javascript" src="//ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jqueryui/1.10.4/jquery-ui.min.js"></script>        <script type="text/javascript">        </script>        <style type="text/css">            html, body {height: 100%; margin:0; padding:0; background-color:  #000; min-width:480px;}            #tan-really-question-mark {width: 75%; margin: 0 auto; min-height: 100%; background-color: #494529; overflow:hidden; text-align: center;}        </style>    </head>    <body>        <div id="tan-really-question-mark"> <p>more like s@#t brown to me</p></div>    </body></html>
Edited by dsonesuk