how do I create faded body background-image element: pseudo element 'hunh?'

swirlingDervish

Swirling noob here with another really basic headache :facepalm: for the gods of code: I'm learning pseudo classes and elements while trying to fade my body background image ONLY. I either end up fading everything (including text content) or nothing at all:

CSS:

#chgBack {background:#081132 url("../images/Fog2.png") no-repeat top center;
background-size: 1290px 1300px;
-moz-background-size:1290px 1300px;
-webkit-background-size:1290px 1300px;
margin:0px;
padding:0px;
}
.fader:after {
content: "";
opacity:0.5;
filter:alpha(opacity=50);
top: 0;
left: 0;
bottom: 0;
right: 0;
position:fixed;
z-index:-1;
}
HTML:
<body id="chgBack" class="fader" >
<div class="fader" style="position:absolute; width:100%; height:100%;"> </div>
<div id="testimos"> /* text element with lovely words over the background */ </div>
</body>

...followed by a plaintive cry for help from a nesting baby noob! Thanks, all.

You have to separate the background image element you wish to use opacity on from other elements, so only it will be affected

<body>        <div id="fader"> </div>        <div id="testimos">  /* text element with lovely words over the background */  </div></body>
   #fader{background: url("http://siddhicenter.org/Inner/Space/images/kailasFog2.png") no-repeat center center / 100% 100%; position:fixed; top: 0; left: 0; right:0; bottom:0; z-index:0; opacity:0.5; filter:alpha(opacity=50);}            #fader ~ * {position: relative; z-index: auto;}

Yeah, justsomeguy, guess I'm not really grasping the proper timing or syntax for use of pseudo classes and elements yet; 'scuse my noobiness while I learn...the "empty div" (background-image is in the CSS for the div) I was reading in a couple of tutorials, was to apply outside-of-DOM attributes, but I think dsonesuk is saying I can use regular ol' divs for an empty div...

Thanks, dsonesuk, I'll try out and update. Any tips or links on understanding when I should use pseudo classes and elements?...

With your original code try this.

#fader:before {content: " "; background: url("http://siddhicenter.org/Inner/Space/images/kailasFog2.png") no-repeat center center;background-size: 100% 100%; /* safari has problem if included in shorthand*/ position:fixed; top: 0; left: 0; right:0; bottom:0; z-index:0; opacity:0.5; filter:alpha(opacity=50);} body * {position: relative; z-index: auto;} /*this should be placed at close to top else any element using position absolute will overridden and use this relative styling instead.<body id="fader">.....</body>

This won't work for IE6 to 8, mind you i think my previous code position: fixed; is not supported either in IE6 which may not be problem, cause i think its had its day and put to rest. RIP IE6.