iframe 'whats the better option?'

old guy

Hi,

I've embeded some maps & forms on my web site using <iframe> & noticed that they don't all show up in chrome & are unsupported in IE but look fine in firefox.

I've read in this forum that using <iframe> is not the best way to embed stuff, but I haven't read what the alternatives are?

Can anyone explain other ways of embeding that get better results in 'all' browsers? Thanks.

old guy.

Actually, the <iframe> should work well for embedding media, but you should only use it for plug-ins (of which Flash is one of the only ones still supported by browsers). The <object> and <embed> elements are also used for Flash, but <iframe> is realiable. <iframe> is supported by all browsers, if it's not working then there's something you're doing wrong.

If you're embedding a Youtube video, <iframe> is best because it allows Youtube to choose between an HTML 5 player and a Flash player. If you embedded a youtube video with <object> or <embed> then mobile devices would not be able to play the video because they don't support Flash.

If you want a form on your page, just put the <form> tags right on the page and forget about the <iframe>.

For Google Maps you don't need an iframe either. You just need some Javascript on the page. Read the W3Schools tutorial on Google Maps.

Thanks,

The form was created on google drive & that embeded & works fine using <iframe> but the map as I mentioned doesn't work in Chrome. Not sure I could get the code wrong?

<iframe src="full http web address" width="880" height="520" ></iframe>

But maybe I have? So why would this not show up in a chrome browser & be unsupported in IE?

Thanks.

(I'll look into the js/api from google)

Hi,

Its a google map. But I have solved the issue now, it was nothing to do with the code. I reset the chrome browser & now everything loads as it should. No idea what was blocking it from loading in chrome?

From what you've said it sounds like <iframe> is the better option or possibly the js option. I will look into that with google. If anyone knows of any other options it would be good to know. Thanks.

old guy.