My div's will not line up?

Jazza

Hi. I am not to sure how to explain but I will try my best.

I am trying to make a navigation bar and it will not all go on the 'navbar' id.

<!DOCTYPE html><head><link rel="stylesheet" typ"text/css" href="css/bootstrap.css"><link rel="stylesheet" typ="text/css" href="css/mystyle.css"></head><body>	<div id="navbar">			<div id="logo">				<p>hdfdf</p>			</div>		<div style="margin-left:750px;" id="navicons">			<span class="glyphicon glyphicon-bell" aria-hidden="true" style="padding-right:20px;"></span>			<span class="glyphicon glyphicon-comment" aria-hidden="true" style="padding-right:20px;"></span>			<p>Jazza</p>		</div>		<form class="form-horizontal" style="width:100px;">  				<div class="form-group">	    			<label for="search" class="col-sm-2 control-label"></label>	      			<input type="search" class="form-control" id="inputEmail3" placeholder="Search">	      			<button class="btn btn-success">Search</button>  				</div>	</div></body></html>

When the localhost process that code, the search field is below the navigation box and the name 'Jazza' is not to the right of the glyphicon's. It is all in the navbar div.

Also, if you have a look at the attachment, that is what I am getting when I process the file.

Thanks

Jarrod

post-100347-0-04867700-1428210254_thumb.png

Edited by Jazza

Have you tried making sure your HTML is valid first? http://validator.w3.org/

I would advise against using things like style="margin-left:750px;" and style="width:100px;"

If you're going to use Bootstrap, stick with it all the way. If you try to mix in your own layout styles you'll mess up the way bootstrap works. By setting a left margin of 750px you're basically destroying Bootstrap's primary goal: Making pages that display properly on all screen sizes.

Read about Bootstrap's grid system: http://getbootstrap.com/css/#grid

It should help you organize your page properly.

can you post the css

#navbar{
width:100%;
height:50px;
background-color:#D00000;
}
#logo{
width:90px;
height:auto;
margin-left:1%;
margin-top:1%;
margin-bottom:1%;
float:left;
border-style: solid;
border-width:2px;
}
#navicons{
width:250px;
height:50px;
border-style:solid;
border-width:1px;
}
.glyphicon.glyphicon-bell{
font-size:40px;
padding-top:5px;
padding-bottom:5px;
color:#b0b0b0;
}
.glyphicon.glyphicon-comment{
font-size:40px;
padding-top:5px;
padding-bottom:5px;
color:#b0b0b0;
}
#name{
width:auto;
height:10px;
}

You are looking for bootstrap stying like this

<div id="navbar"><div class="row"><div id="logo" class="col-md-2"><p>hdfdf</p></div><div id="navicons" class="col-md-2 col-md-offset-6"><span class="glyphicon glyphicon-bell" aria-hidden="true" style="padding-right:20px;"></span> <span class="glyphicon glyphicon-comment" aria-hidden="true" style="padding-right:20px;"></span> <p>Jazza</p></div><div class="col-md-2"><form class="form-horizontal"><div class="form-group"> <label for="search" class="col-sm-3 control-label"></label> <input type="search" class="form-control" id="inputEmail3" placeholder="Search"> <button class="btn btn-success">Search</button></div></form></div></div></div>
Edited by dsonesuk

<nav class="navbar navbar-default" role="navigation">    <div class="navbar-header">        <button type="button" class="navbar-toggle" data-toggle="collapse" data-target="#bs-example-navbar-collapse-1">            <span class="sr-only">Toggle navigation</span>            <span class="icon-bar"></span>            <span class="icon-bar"></span>            <span class="icon-bar"></span>        </button>        <a class="navbar-brand" href="#">Company Logo</a>    </div>    <div class="collapse navbar-collapse" id="bs-example-navbar-collapse-1">        <ul class="nav navbar-nav">            <li class="active"><a href="#"><span class="glyphicon glyphicon-bell aria-hidden="true"></span> Link</a></li>            <li><a href="#"> <span class="glyphicon glyphicon-comment aria-hidden="true"></span> Link</a></li>        </ul>        <div class="col-sm-3 col-md-3 pull-right">            <form class="navbar-form" role="search">                <div class="input-group">                    <input type="text" class="form-control" placeholder="Search" name="q">                    <div class="input-group-btn">                        <button class="btn btn-default" type="submit"><i class="glyphicon glyphicon-search"></i></button>                    </div>                </div>            </form>        </div>            </div></nav>    

is its something like this u are trying to achieve?

<nav class="navbar navbar-default" role="navigation">    <div class="navbar-header">        <button type="button" class="navbar-toggle" data-toggle="collapse" data-target="#bs-example-navbar-collapse-1">            <span class="sr-only">Toggle navigation</span>            <span class="icon-bar"></span>            <span class="icon-bar"></span>            <span class="icon-bar"></span>        </button>        <a class="navbar-brand" href="#">Company Logo</a>    </div>    <div class="collapse navbar-collapse" id="bs-example-navbar-collapse-1">        <ul class="nav navbar-nav">            <li class="active"><a href="#"><span class="glyphicon glyphicon-bell aria-hidden="true"></span> Link</a></li>            <li><a href="#"> <span class="glyphicon glyphicon-comment aria-hidden="true"></span> Link</a></li>        </ul>        <div class="col-sm-3 col-md-3 pull-right">            <form class="navbar-form" role="search">                <div class="input-group">                    <input type="text" class="form-control" placeholder="Search" name="q">                    <div class="input-group-btn">                        <button class="btn btn-default" type="submit"><i class="glyphicon glyphicon-search"></i></button>                    </div>                </div>            </form>        </div>            </div></nav>    

is its something like this u are trying to achieve?

Yes, however I prefer the icon's to be on the right side and the search field to be in the center.

Add navbar-right in ul

<ul class="nav navbar-nav navbar-right">     <li class="active"><a href="#"><span class="glyphicon glyphicon-bell aria-hidden="true"></span> Link</a></li>     <li><a href="#"> <span class="glyphicon glyphicon-comment aria-hidden="true"></span> Link</a></li> </ul>