Lack of media queries in IE8 - font size problem

Lucy

I have a portfolio set up that is basically a grid of images, where if you hover over them they are covered by a semi-transparent black box with text - a title, and short description. I recently realised that IE8 doesn't support media queries, so it seems I have to set permanant font sizes that don't look awful on differently sized screens. The problem is, I can't find a happy medium with the font size for this 'overlay'. At a reasonable size, it is far too large if the browser is resized down to about 1050px wide. Making it fit into these boxes would take a tiny, tiny font size and it would look ridiculous on a larger screen. I don't want to use Javascript for this, because I remember when I used IE years ago it used to block Javascript and pop up with warnings about how dangerous it could be, so I imagine a lot of people might have it turned off.

Is there any solution to this (besides completely re-designing this part of the page just for IE8 and below (I think IE9 supports media queries...))?

Edited by Lucy

If you need alternate code for ie8 then use the microsoft hack... oops workaround:

<!--[if lt IE 9]>	<sript src="Whatever-hack-you-need.js"></script>	<![endif]-->

Then you just load a script or alternate stylesheet to override the code that works for modern browsers.