cgi folder (or cgi-bin)

reportingsjr

Well, im pretty sure this should go here.I dont really have an idea of what exactly the cgi bin is for :) I heard that it is for active scripts but I have no clue what that is supposed to mean!Does it mean it is for like php/asp scripts that are for like a login for a game or such or what? Please tell me! (I searched google and found no results on it).

Well, im pretty sure this should go here.I dont really have an idea of what exactly the cgi bin is forĀ  :) I heard that it is for active scripts but I have no clue what that is supposed to mean!Does it mean it is for like php/asp scripts that are for like a login for a game or such or what? Please tell me! (I searched google and found no results on it).

CGI BinThe folder (or directory) on a web server that stores CGI programs.
http://my.execpc.com/~keithp/bdlogcgi.htmCGI = Common Gateway Interface

I use it as the default for all my scripts sometimes, there's nothing wrong with using it, as it's easier to close the website off on cgi-bins directory when dealing with robots.txt files, just have afolder inside there called processors, dbwork, or whatever and handle all your external files through that page, my personal practice, because it's 100 times easier when working with robots files, and saves time, and you always know where the information is, if it's all ways in the cgi bin. What it is normally used for are specific types of programs like using Ruby on rails, or ruby, or perl, or something heave, java or something like that, cron jobs, or running cgi executables, or downloading massive third party scripts most of that info is in cgi bin. Within that one folder you can block a lot of things for instance, you can keep that directory sealed off from live access, and prevent search engines from picking up all the info inside with the robots file. Just don't put your php.ini file specifically in there, I think that is required to be in your root directory, but anything else, except config files, or error logs, it wuoldn't hurt to keep them in there, also if you are disabling error reporting through browser as it's more secure then keep an error log in 1 folder for every php script so you have logs, it should create them automatically though if the php.ini is set properly. If you do asp, jsp, or coldfusion you can use the cgi-bin as well.