recursive functions with setTimeout

chadmichael

Hello.I'm trying to invoke a function repeatedly by putting a setTimeout call in my function that calls itself. The problem is that I can't repass my parameters due to the string based nature of the argument to the setTimeout function. I also have found that the setTimeout uses the Window context for its context; otherwise you could expect the function to find the parameterOne still defined in the call stack, which would be adequate. My code is below and if you run it you will see that "parameterOne" is undefined on the second iteration. How do I pass it in?

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd"><head><title>Test Page</title><script language="JavaScript">function doSomething( parameterOne ){   alert ( "parameterOne = " + parameterOne );   setTimeout ( "doSomething( parameterOne)", 2000 );}doSomething ( "hello" );</script></head><body>EMTPY HTML BODY</body></html>

setTimeout executes only once but setInterval (used exactly the same as setTimeout) executes over and over again until you tell ti to stop (really go for constantly checking a page's status or something).

I was interested in using the setInterval ( func, interval, args ). This one takes a function instead of a string based bit of code to execute. However, I only works once and then throws an error about useless invocation of setInterval due to missing quotes? Does anyone have any experience using the setInterval function with this signature, such as

<script language="javascript"> setInterval ( nextSlide ( slideShow1 ), 2000l ); </script>

You can pass a global varaiable, maybe this will help.

var count = 0;  var cmd;  function doSomething( parameterOne ){  alert ( "parameterOne = " + parameterOne );  cmd = parameterOne + count++;  setTimeout( 'doSomething(cmd)', 2000 );}doSomething ( "hello" );

Or pass a literal string.

var count = 0;  function doSomething( parameterOne ){  alert ( "parameterOne = " + parameterOne );  str = parameterOne + count++;  setTimeout( 'doSomething("' + str + '")', 2000 );}doSomething ( "hello" );

HTH

The global variable works becuase the context of the function, when invoked by the setTimeout, is the global context. However, this doesn't work for me because I might have multiple instances of this code running in a page. This creates concurrency issues for global variables. The string literal doesn't work for me either becuase, in my real code, I'm passing a more complex object as my parameter. Thanks for the suggestions though.

How about a global array..that way your calls are distinct.

var count = 0;   var cmd = new Array();      function doSomething( parameterOne )  {     count++;     alert ( "parameterOne = " + parameterOne );     cmd[count] = parameterOne + count;     if(count > 6) return;     setTimeout( 'doSomething(cmd[' + count +'])', 2000 );  }      doSomething ( "first" );  doSomething ( "next" );  doSomething ( "last" );

How would setInterval help out?

Unless the setTimeout is changing every time, setInterval seems a better option. You can't keep the object local unfortunately either, due to the nature of the function combined with the setInterval/setTimeout (can you imagine the memory leakage?). A global variable/array as adservio suggested would be a good idea, and easy to keep track of :)