Forums?

ngaiox

I am looking to build a basic php forum. Basic features, eg. Banning, adding forums, adding users, posting, private messages, edit profile etc.Well, I am looking for someone to help build this as well as teach me about PHP. I know that building a forum is not an easy task and never will be. I do not prefer to use prebuilt forum software when I and maybe anyone that helps can put our own features in it.Note: If you have a kind enough heart, please do not make me pay, I can't send money seeing as I have no paypal.Once again, any help would be great. I have read the entire php tutorial and on the quiz, I got 17 out of 20 correct.

Schweet, I've been looking to do something with my spare time. I'll help you no problem.benjy355@gmail.com^__^ I'm pretty experienced... (Any actions I don't know how to do I look in 1 of my 20 references) :)As far as I know, PHP is easy once you can start remembering techniques and functions.

Good luck, I am currently coding one myself, so far i have it to where you can view and post topics and replies and i have a word filter and support for bbc code. It takes time and patience. I am new to php but i have found a lot of help throught tutorials and asking questions on forums. The biggest challenge for me is going to be the user system.

I code a forum just a couple of days ago, since I needed one with my new layout and stuff... It didn't even take me a day to make, but it only has: viewing topics, viewing posts, creating topics, and creating posts... the user stuff was just innergraded with my login I already had.Good do see people doing work them selves! Hope you guys stay with it and finish it. Any questions just come back here... very one here as far as I've seen is willing to help the willing!

My advice to you is to get an open source like phpBB, install it and work with it (adding modifications etc.). That is one of the best ways to learn as you get a feel for PHP, instead of looking at half-done code.- Moridin
Mate, I get where you're coming from, but I tried that and phpBB is far to complicated to pick up and modify for a beginner. I'm a beginner, I tried it and it almost put me off php as I got too overwhelmed.Good to hear that people are willing to help! I'm currently in the process of building my first php site. I have a half decent blog page set up, with a login and admin section. The user profile is next, then the photo gallery, then I might consider the forum. I've got that addicted that I'm thinking about it all day at work. Wish I had more time to dedicate to it. :-(

My advice to you is to get an open source like phpBB, install it and work with it (adding modifications etc.). That is one of the best ways to learn as you get a feel for PHP, instead of looking at half-done code.- Moridin
This is also a bad idea on the hacking end... If you have the one and only copy of a script it is much less likely that a hacker will break in!