Verification

Leyil

Hi everyone.I've got a problem getting a page of mine to validate properly. I use the strict doctype, and when I validate by upload, it works just fine.But when I click the button you get upon validating the page, I get:"No Referer header found!You have requested we check the referring page, but your browser did not send the HTTP "Referer" header field. This can be for several reasons, but most commonly it is because your browser does not know about this header, has been configured not to send one, or is behind a proxy or firewall that strips it out of the request before it reaches us.This is not an error in the referring page!"Is sounds pretty straight-forward, but is there anything I can do about this? I use the latest version of firefox.NOTE:This was done with the page being checked on my HD, not online. Could that be it?

The referer is the page that contains a link that you clicked to get to the next page. So, if you are looking at page1.html and click a link to get to page2.html, then your browser should send a header called 'referer' that says 'page1.html'. The referer for page2.html would be page1.html.So, if you have a "click to validate" button on your page, then that button goes to the W3C validator and tells the validator to check the referer. The validator should look in the referer header, and check that page.The error says that the referer is not being sent by the browser. So, it may be that you have Firefox set to not send the referer. This is an option with other browsers such as Opera if you don't want to do that for whatever reason. Make sure that Firefox is set to send the referer. The referer will also not be set if you type the URL in yourself. If you copy and paste the URL into the address bar, there is no referer. The validator can only validate pages if they are online. For offline pages, you can either copy and paste the code or upload the file. If you want to validate a page that is online, you can either put the link on your page to check the referer, or you can just type the URL yourself into the validator.