Embedding Flash from a URL

Kasdraven

So here is the deal. I have an swf file loaded onto a file storing site and let's just say the URL is http://www.whatever.com/flash/movie.swf. How can I embed it from the URL. Note. There are reasons I cannot just embed it with the publish thing. I need to embed it using only the URL cuz I am on a profile site. So please, no other suggestions, just a way to embed the swf using the URL. Please. Thanks for any help in advance.

So here is the deal. I have an swf file loaded onto a file storing site and let's just say the URL is http://www.whatever.com/flash/movie.swf. How can I embed it from the URL. Note. There are reasons I cannot just embed it with the publish thing. I need to embed it using only the URL cuz I am on a profile site. So please, no other suggestions, just a way to embed the swf using the URL. Please. Thanks for any help in advance.
I am no expert of flash or swish, you may like to submit your post to the Flash area?Also, you may like to try searching on google or yahoo?... or dogpile, ask geeves, google advanced, okay, getting a bit carried away! :)

OK let's make the assumption i'm stupid and didn't already try that (which I did) and let's answer the question. If you don't know the answer, DON'T POST ON THE THREAD! And by the way, this is an HTML problem, not a Flash or ActionScript problem. OK slick? Now, could someone actually answer me? You know, say something useful?

That told me nothing on what I asked! I asked for the answer to a problem and this idiot gives me a link to an article on browser compatiblity and how to fix up code to make it fit the XHTML standards. I need a code to embed an .swf file from a URL without using any JavaScript. That is all I am asking. Stop giving me links. I asked on here because I couldn't find the answer anywhere else. Now if you'd like to find it for me somewhere, feel free to give me the link, maybe I didn't see it. Just answer the question or stop posting. Honestly. I didn't post here for a free lesson on googling.

Thats what I dont get, I tried to help them by giving relevant links, and I get replys that are potentially offenisve, look...

OK let's make the assumption i'm stupid and didn't already try that (which I did) and let's answer the question. If you don't know the answer, DON'T POST ON THE THREAD! And by the way, this is an HTML problem, not a Flash or ActionScript problem. OK slick? Now, could someone actually answer me? You know, say something useful?
... and
That told me nothing on what I asked! I asked for the answer to a problem and this idiot gives me a link to an article on browser compatiblity and how to fix up code to make it fit the XHTML standards. I need a code to embed an .swf file from a URL without using any JavaScript. That is all I am asking. Stop giving me links. I asked on here because I couldn't find the answer anywhere else. Now if you'd like to find it for me somewhere, feel free to give me the link, maybe I didn't see it. Just answer the question or stop posting. Honestly. I didn't post here for a free lesson on googling.
See, look at some of the replys I get. :)

What is embeding from URL? Something like <a href="http://www.whatever.com/flash/movie.swf"> ? There's no such thing, you still need <object> to let the browser show the flash.
That's what i'm getting at. like embedding a wma file from a URL, but embedding an swf instead.holmedwa04, I apologize if I offended you, I won't make excuses, but my reasoning is as I said before, I came to the forum for direct help, not answers like "you may like to try searching on google or yahoo.", because if I came to a forum, it is because I couldnt find it on my own. Now that you understand my problem a little better thanks to skym wording how I couldnt, is there anything you know of to help?

im quite suprsied no1 has gave a decent and straight forward answer to this.... im only a begginer myself but dis isnt reli all that hard.......... jus use i frames.....

<iframe width='270' height='175' border='0' frameborder='0' src='http://www.whatever.com/flash/movie.swf'></iframe>

and just change the size as needed, pretty simple fix 2 this problem reli init. :) but tbh i dunt reli like ur attitude, if u got no patience when people are trying to help i suggest u dont open a topic. if u come on here asking for help and abuse every reply, wots the point in asking. And when ppl try to help and u bite ther head off its going make ppl think y shud i help him if hes bein like that.............. i wo very reluctant to help as well, but thats wot this forum is ere 4, but in future i fink u shud have respect 4 ppl that are trying to help.......... but neways, lemme no if da code is any use..... :)

Ok, apology accepted, and now that I understand what you want to do, no I cant really help you. :)
lol, the way the world turns eh? It's all good. Jibo I don't beleive I can use Iframes. I am restrained to using only HTML, and some HTML won't even work, though I know embedding it will work if I can just figure out how to embed it from a URL the way you can with a .wma file. I will try your suggestion, and as for the attitude thing, check all of my other posts. That was the first time I've ever gotten irritable on here before.

okies lol. but wot do ya mean by "the publish thing" which profile site u using as well. my site is on piczo (sad i no lol) but i can use iframes on there and its also a profile site reli.......... but if the iframe code doesnt work try this 1

<object classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=4,0,2,0" width="700" height="400">  <param name=movie value="http://urlinere.swf">  <param name=quality value=high>  <embed src="http://urlinere.swf" quality=high pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="700" height="400">  </embed> </object>

or is this the code u mean u cant use??????????????????

<!--Flash 500+350+http://img75.imageshack.us/img75/5358/loversconcerto8my.swf--><OBJECT CLASSID='clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000' WIDTH=500 HEIGHT=350><PARAM NAME=MOVIE VALUE=http://img75.imageshack.us/img75/5358/loversconcerto8my.swf><PARAM NAME=PLAY VALUE=TRUE><PARAM NAME=LOOP VALUE=TRUE><PARAM NAME=QUALITY VALUE=HIGH><EMBED SRC=http://img75.imageshack.us/img75/5358/loversconcerto8my.swf WIDTH=500 HEIGHT=350 PLAY=TRUE LOOP=TRUE QUALITY=HIGH></EMBED></OBJECT><!--End Flash-->

here is the code I get from forum , try this , if doesn't work try another :)

Completely unacceptable. People are here as volunteers to help you. There is no excuse for treating someone this way regardless of whether their answer helps you or not.You get a Warn for this, nect time it will be something harsher...be respectful of other members...especially when they are taking their time to try and help you.

I don't think the iframe method will work. An swf file is not understood by the browser, the browser doesn't know how to display it. The browser only loads the Flash plugin. Which means you need the code to put the plugin in the page. The code to do that is with the object tag. It's the only way to embed Flash, there's no getting around it. You aren't loading a Flash movie, you are loading the Flash plugin, and you do that with an object tag.If you think I'm wrong, give an example (link) of where it's done any other way.

It seems to be working at the first glance: [edit: url erased]The width/height iframe settings help to render the Flash at the correct scale, but other parameters cannot be set. I still don't see the point of it. Why <object> isn't good?

This is pretty confusing to me, I can't find any discussion at all online about doing this. There are a lot of various methods for only using the object tag and not the embed tag, but I can't find anything about just setting an swf file as a src for an iframe. I can't find any discussion on the web in general, or in newsgroups. I suspect that some older browsers would not support this very well, if at all. It doesn't look like it works in Windows Mobile 2003, but that shouldn't really be a surprise.Also, isn't iframe not in XHTML strict?

If you have SWF set up in your browser as a mime type to load in Shockwave Player, then you can link to the SWF file and it will load in the browser without having to write a web page with the <object> tag to contain it.a.) If the problem is that the intent is to have the SWF file load in the body of an existing page, then linking to the absolute path of the file does nothing.b.) Given the same assumption, you could use the <iframe> tag as previously suggested. This would require to modify the page on your site where you would like the SWF file to be loaded. You're options there are to have the page in the <iframe> be a webpage with the <object> tag loading the SWF file (the right way to do it) or you could do what is suggested and have hte <iframe> tag reference the SWF file directly. In the latter case, the <iframe> would need ot have a width and height defined to the size (preferably) the flash movie was built to.c.) If you added the absolute path of the SWF file as a URL parameter (URL encoded format of course) then you could build your webpage to read that url parameter to extract the path of the SWF ile and load it pre-written code waiting on that page. Snce you mentioned you could not or would not use javascript for this task, it leaves only the use of a server side language like php, asp, or coldfusion.If none of these address your question, then you will need to do two things:a.) more clearly state you need. your opening post was too vague and almost invited an undesired response. Include as much information as you have available so no one has to put up with what ever attitude you choose to show up with. When I post my questions, I give a complete description of what I have tried and where I have researched my solution. If this is your last resort, then you need to communicate your efforts - which brings me to the second pointb.) you have to understand that this is the first place some people go and the last place other go for solutions. If you just browse any of the forum topics, you will see just how many folks don't research(google) a solution before posting here. it is more than understandable that someone would suggest you do that if you do not explain that you have. and sorry, trying to disclaim your effort with "" is not an effective way of saying you've done your research, that just shows that you don't want to waste time with "advice" and that you are only after a solution. Which is fine, if your post detailed your efforts - people would then be able to appreciate the effort and see that advice is not something they need to share.

If you have SWF set up in your browser as a mime type to load in Shockwave Player, then you can link to the SWF file and it will load in the browser without having to write a web page with the <object> tag to contain it.
OK, that makes sense. I would imagine that newer versions of the Flash player do this on install.After talking to the resident Flash guru here, apparently the player has always registered the type, which is what allows someone to just open an SWF in the browser and have it play. I didn't know that, I always thought that you needed to invoke the player explicitly. Apparently people haven't been using iframes because of the lack of support in previous browser versions and because of the printing problems associated with frames, which iframes share.

Well not a lot of that made sense to me, 2 advanced lol but i wanted a .swf file on me site and couldnt find a way to do it (begginer and didnt no wot i was lookin for :) ) so i just thought it was the obvious thing to do i didnt know how it would work just that it would :)