How to incorporate ads in your web design?

Taustin Powers

I'm working on a new website project that may get considerable amounts of hits, so I am thinking about placing a few ads to make some money. How do I go about this? I have never dealt with ads before. Can you get paid based on the number of hits your page gets? Or do people actually have to click on the ads? How do I find people/companies to place their ads on my page? Is there a service (google?) that just loads random ads in your page and you get a flat rate fee or something?Any input would be appreciated.

The advice to go with google is good and especially easy. When you create your adsense account you list the site you are placing the ads on and google spiders it to find the right ad for the site - ads based on keywords.Again, that is the easiest thing to do. However, if (for instance) you are trying to sell Corvettes, then you will have google corvette ads - esentially advertising your competition. The folks at google have thought of this and you can build filters to prevent this from happening - so if you go this route, keep that in mind.Of course, you will make more money in the long run if you download an ad banner manager program and sell your adds yourself. You might have to work a little more to get the thing set up properly (especially repoting to your advertisers their success).As far as where to find advertisers - advertising ad space on your site where an ad would go is the easiest method which requires minimul overhead.

I'm working on a new website project that may get considerable amounts of hits, so I am thinking about placing a few ads to make some money. How do I go about this? I have never dealt with ads before. Can you get paid based on the number of hits your page gets? Or do people actually have to click on the ads? How do I find people/companies to place their ads on my page? Is there a service (google?) that just loads random ads in your page and you get a flat rate fee or something?Any input would be appreciated.
I'm actually in the final stages of a site that is built around Google Ads, so I'll give you a quick breakdown of how (I believe) Google Adsense works.Suppose a friend of yours, Bob, runs a business selling Sulfuric Acid. Now, he spends almost all of his free time making this substance and has very little time to advertise. He is also on a tight budget. Anyway, he finds this service called Google Adwords, which upon receiving a little information from him (and money) agrees to place one type of ad that is called Cost per Click (CPC) and another type, Cost per Impression (CPI). So Bob goes off to make Sulfuric Acid, and Google goes off to place the ad.Along come people like you and me. We're web developers who want to make some cash. Maybe we're trying to pay our hosting costs. Maybe we want that Ferrari our neighbor bought. Whatever. The great thing about Google Adsense is you sign up - and it costs you nothing. You use it - it costs you nothing. You abandon it - it costs you a million bu--- uhh I mean it costs you nothing. Bottom line: it's free. So you sign up, place the ads (they have a fantastic tour, check it out at http://google.com/adsense) and sit back. You get paid in one of two ways. For CPC ads, you get paid a previously agreed upon amount (between Google and Bob, I assume) whenever someone clicks on Bob's (or Dave's, or Lisa's) ad. From what I've seen, it ranges from 6 cents to 26 cents (in my personal experience). The other kind of ad is CP(1000)I. For every 1000 times you display a Bob's ad, you get some cash. Now since my site is not mainstream yet, I haven't gotten 1000 impressions on any single ad, so I can't give you firsthand info. About payment: Once your financial identity is verified (Google's not dumb, fellas) Google will either send you a check every month of that month's profit, or transfer the funds electronically into your bank account. You can also opt to place a hold on your payments. Well, that's aquatsr's quick-and-dirty guide to Google Adsense.Did I mention it's free?One Caveat about Ads: I use Firefox's ad-block extension, so my page looks very funny when the extension is running (huge white gaps where the ads should be). So design wisely!

I may be wrong, but I don't think Yahoo has a service similar to Adsense. Google runs Adsense, not Yahoo.
Yahoo has a program in beta stage know available to US residents called Yahoo! Publishers Network...it is just basicall their spin on AdSense, from what I understand.