Net Zero

Caligo

firstly you should check if it is available to you http://my.netzero.net/s/numbersSecondly it is 9.95/month for the first year then it becomes 14.95/monthas far as the quality of service I don't know. Back in the day when I had dial-up there was only 1 ISP in my area so I have never had different dialup comapanies to know if there is a difference in speed.

firstly you should check if it is available to you http://my.netzero.net/s/numbersSecondly it is 9.95/month for the first year then it becomes 14.95/monthas far as the quality of service I don't know. Back in the day when I had dial-up there was only 1 ISP in my area so I have never had different dialup comapanies to know if there is a difference in speed.
i know about the numbers etc. i was wondering about the quality. thanks for suggesting to look for availablity though.

From what i've seen, dial-up is dial-up. I feel sorry for you either way :)
according to net zero, their high speed dialup compresses the stuff first then sends it so my computer would recieve it faster, but it seems to me that the downtime would come in uncompressing it.....i dont know much about isp's or how that stuff works...

according to net zero, their high speed dialup compresses the stuff first then sends it so my computer would recieve it faster, but it seems to me that the downtime would come in uncompressing it.....i dont know much about isp's or how that stuff works...
I would guess that the uncompress time would be far less than the uncompress download time since hte uncompressing is taking place on your PC not over the internet/network

I would guess that the uncompress time would be far less than the uncompress download time since hte uncompressing is taking place on your PC not over the internet/network
i thought of that after i added the reply :) so it seems like it could be possible then...hmm

The time to uncompress heavily depends on your processor. If you are sent a page with a lot of little images on it or a lot of support files or something, the overhead to uncompress will be a bit, but it's probably still faster then downloading the uncompressed versions.

The time to uncompress heavily depends on your processor. If you are sent a page with a lot of little images on it or a lot of support files or something, the overhead to uncompress will be a bit, but it's probably still faster then downloading the uncompressed versions.
Well, let's see now, my parents computer is the one it would be running on. they have an AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ dual-core - 2.0GHz processor

lol pretty sweet. You don't have to worry about your cpu :)
thats what i said, they got a better computer than mine....kind of sad really, thats all they will use it for is the internet and ms office
NetZero's quality is not too bad. A bit better than dial up, but not enough to be able to tell the difference. :)
i think we might give it a whirl, the price isnt bad so i figure why not

Why did they get a dual core then...why waste the money?
truthfully...my mom, she has this thing in her head that they need a good computer so my dad can use autoCAD and stuff in a couple years or something....my dad doesnt hardly know how to turn the computer on....so yeah, not really sure. i told my mom they didnt need that great of a computer, but parents...enough said :)

lol in a couple years that will be outdated....plus autocad doesn't need dual core.that is such a big misunderstanding people have about dual core. It sounds great in theory but when you know the facts it isn't so great for the money you have to pay.It is only good if you run lots of programs at once. Also the programs you run must support multithreading which alot don't but will hopefully in the future.For example I would never by a dual core CPU for my gaming PC because games run on 1 thread and it would only ever use half the CPU...I would by a much faster single core CPU and still save a tonne of money.

lol in a couple years that will be outdated....plus autocad doesn't need dual core.that is such a big misunderstanding people have about dual core. It sounds great in theory but when you know the facts it isn't so great for the money you have to pay.It is only good if you run lots of programs at once. Also the programs you run must support multithreading which alot don't but will hopefully in the future.For example I would never by a dual core CPU for my gaming PC because games run on 1 thread and it would only ever use half the CPU...I would by a much faster single core CPU and still save a tonne of money.
yeah, try explaining that to my mom....cause uh, it didnt work when i tried :)i had offered to give them my computer so that i could have the dual core because im always working with like ten programs at a time, plus i would have more ram etc.. but that didnt work.i got AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Venice 2.0GHz 512KB L2 Cache Socket 939 ProcessorMSI RD480 Neo2-FI Socket 939 ATI Radeon XPRESS 200 CrossFire ATX AMD Motherboard Im pretty sure thats the one512MB ram (720MB auto-overclocked)160gb hard driveso that would be good for them and be able to run autoCAD if they wanted, need more ram prolly but either way.i have a 19" crt but told them the could keep the lcd for themselves....so i thought they would be happy...id be happy theyd be happy....meh idk