Q about <a href="absurl#anchor" target="_blank"> NOW with a sample link

ina123

Hi, I make a simple <a href="url" TARGET="_blank"> links, and sometimes - not always - it navigates to url in initial window with link tag, along with opening a new window with url.It happens at least when: a) url contains #name at the end (to link to part of text), B) target="name" (I name the targeted window).I use IE 6. Just checked - Firefox does the same.Check out here: http://www.geocities.com/lanasinfo123/bf13567834/calc.htm.And click on the last link on a page labeled "here". It is an <a href="url#anchor" target="_blank"> link.In my browser IE 6 it does open target window, but also navigates in ini window. So I see 2 windows with the link content. The URL is absolute with an anchor. Geocities did add a frame, but this behavior happens without any frames, too!! Why??? Is it a browser problem???

I don't know if this will matter, but I notice a few things about your code.1. In your <a> you have <a href='link'> That should be " not '.2. In that same block you have an open <p> tag without a </p>.
Yep, I am still working on that page. But did the last link opened twice for you too?

Yea. No idea why though. Doesn't seem to be your code...I do notice that the link with the # target doesn't have a file type. The link above it does (.htm) but the one that's not working has no file type extension. Which it should. But the wikipedia page it points to doesn't have one either, so that may be Wiki-pedia's error, not yours. The link above it works fine, so I don't think it's your code.If changing the ' to " doesn't work, I would say that it's something to do with the link itself.EDITOkay, after putting the link on my website exactly the way you have it, it worked fine the way it's supposed to... So I really don't understand why it isn't working from your website.

That is most likely other scripts interfering with it, since Praetorian tested it out on a regular web pages. I couldn't see at first, so I had to disable my adblock to see the frames, then I tested with IE. Have you tried going ADless/frameless? Check out this free ADless webspace hoster. That is what I use (see link in signature).:)

http://w3schools.invisionzone.com/index.php?showtopic=7325Please stick to one thread for your topic. If you have additional info that may help to solve the problem, just p_edit.gif it into an existing post or make a new post in your already-created-thread. No need to make a new thread with a just-slightly-altered first post. I'll lock that other thread now, but if you create another thread just like this, I'll be happy to lock both.

It doesn't happen with Opera, Opera behaves as it should. I don't see any Geocities content at all, they added a line of code near the bottom but it didn't seem to do anything. This is not a "major browser flaw". Browsers have understood what target="_blank" means for years and years. If this was a bug, people would have known about it before now. This is a problem with your specific server. Geocities may be running a script to switch targets away from blank or something, I've never used Geocities so I'm not exactly sure what tricks they pull.

take a look at your source code there will be a tonne of Geocities generated code that drives their ads and allt he other garbase they run on your site.Go to awardspace.com they give you free, no ads, and php/mysql support for free!!!!!!