AJAX issue

utahcon

I am looking through the w3c's guides on AJAX and I found this*** sorry I think I should reword the question ***

var xmlHttpfunction showHint(str){if (str.length==0){ document.getElementById("txtHint").innerHTML=""return}xmlHttp=GetXmlHttpObject()if (xmlHttp==null){alert ("Browser does not support HTTP Request")return} var url="gethint.asp"url=url+"?q="+strurl=url+"&sid="+Math.random()xmlHttp.onreadystatechange=stateChanged xmlHttp.open("GET",url,true)xmlHttp.send(null)} function stateChanged() { if (xmlHttp.readyState==4 || xmlHttp.readyState=="complete"){ document.getElementById("txtHint").innerHTML=xmlHttp.responseText } } function GetXmlHttpObject(){ var objXMLHttp=nullif (window.XMLHttpRequest){objXMLHttp=new XMLHttpRequest()}else if (window.ActiveXObject){objXMLHttp=new ActiveXObject("Microsoft.XMLHTTP")}return objXMLHttp}

Couldnt I call a function like callPHP(), that would pass the needed URL into the functions above and have it return the value of xmlHttp.responseText?I am not having any success in doing so...