One question

Norman

Hi all. I want know if I can translate W3S.com's tutorials in italian language (my lang) and put those in my italian forum. Obviously if I can do it, with yours permission, I will put a link to W3S. Please, let me know. :) Thanks in advance. Regards,NormanWeb City Forum Online

You will have to give them some time, I never received a reply from when I emailed them about the hacking (a while ago..). But they probably will respond to you. They do have other things to do. So just give them about a week to get back to you and send another email. Please do not double post, people will try to help you if they can.

I have sent an e-mail to hege.refsnesdata.no (three days ago), but I haven't received any reply. :) Regards, NormanWeb City Forum Online
You mean hege@refsnesdata.no?And as for translation of w3schools.com content, here is the last quote from kaijim (site admin and w3schools spokesperson on the forum):http://w3schools.invisionzone.com/index.ph...post&p=2044This still stands as the last word. Also, the already linked-to about copyright page claims:
Pages, code or other content from W3Schools may not be redistributed or reproduced in any way, shape, or form without the written permission of Refsnes Data.Failure to do so is a violation of copyright laws.
So you'd need a written permission either way. I don't know if email counts.

You mean hege@refsnesdata.no?
Yes. :)
And as for translation of w3schools.com content, here is the last quote from kaijim (site admin and w3schools spokesperson on the forum):http://w3schools.invisionzone.com/index.ph...post&p=2044This still stands as the last word. Also, the already linked-to about copyright page claims:So you'd need a written permission either way. I don't know if email counts.
Ok, thanks for the link, and for reply. However, in my opinion it is strange. Why we can't help others people that can't speak english? And the most thing that leaves me perplexed is W3S's logan: "The best things are free"! So, I repeat, why all these problems for help people, for free!? :)

Just because they offer a service for free doesn't mean it's not subject to copyright. They created the content, and as such have the right to decide who posts it and where it is posted. So kaijim says that if they want content translated, they will look for people to do it, and it will probably still be hosted on the same site.You have to understand that w3schools.com is supported by advertizing royalties, and so if the same content is offered on other sites, that would be really bad, because w3schools.com might lose the advertizers, further losing money, which again would mean either that they would have to stop developing content and maybe take the site down because of the bandwidth costs, or that the server costs/working hours would have to be covered by someone else, the users of the site. If you like w3schools.com as a free service, respecting that copyright is what needs to be done for it to stay that way.The above is not an official w3schools.com opinion, just my take on the matter. Thanks for understanding. :)

How can W3Schools be kept Completely Free?The concept of running a completely free e-learning portal is based on the support from sponsors. To keep the sponsors happy, we need our visitors to stay here and to return often. Off-line surfing of W3Schools reduces our possibilities to continue making this a better school.The best thing you can do to let W3Schools stay on the internet forever, is to use it. The more you use it, the more visitors we get, and the more content we can provide. This way W3Schools will get better and better.Tell everyone you know about us, link to us, help us get more new visitors and we will continue to give you the best!

Yes, I understand. This is a point of view that I hadn't see, sorry. However, for example, if I just start a new own tutorial about, for example (I repeat), HTML, using my words (so not translating exaclty this site's tutorials words), and using W3S's examples (Try-It and others) for support my tuts, it would be allowed or not? *Sorry for my bad english*Best regards,Norman

I think it's really a matter of discretion. There's a fine line with what's copyright infringement and what's not on the internet, as nobody can really claim copyright on any code itself. So if you were to write your own tutorials (worded as it would fall natural for you to word it), it probably wouldn't be an infringement.However, the best idea is for you to base your tutorials on is what you know of html (or whatever tutorial it is). I would not use w3schools.com as a basis, then translate and further try to write it differently, that way it's still guaranteed to bear too much similarity to the original content.Instead start writing and explaining it on the language you want (Italian, in this case) the way you feel it best explained. There are lots of tutorials on weblanguages out there, and the really big sites offer similar services and yet manage to refrain from copying each others' content. If you're already writing your own tutorials it's really not difficult finding similar examples like the try-it examples, only with different wording.