Layout Trouble in FF

Kevin M

Some people I know are having trouble viewing my layout in FF. They say that the banner doesn't show up, and all they can see is the 3 content sections. It works fine for me in IE. I don't have FF so I don't know what it looks like. According to W3C it's all valid XHTML and CSS, so I don't know where the problem is. Here's a link: LinkHere's the coding:CSS

body, td, th { font-family : Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size : 11px;color : #ffffff;} body { background-color : #000000;background-position : top center;background-image: url(/layout2/bg.png); background-repeat: repeat-y;margin: 0px;} a { color : #ffffff;text-decoration : none;} a:hover, a:active { color : #ffffff;text-decoration : underline;} #container { position : absolute;z-index : -2;background-color: #000000;width : 800px;top : 0;} #banner { position : absolute;z-index : -1;background-image: url(/layout2/header.png); background-repeat: no-repeat;height : 200px;width : 800px;top : 0px;}#navigation { position: absolute;z-index : 1;width : 175px;left : 13px;top : 200px;text-align : center;} #content { position: absolute;z-index : 1;width : 382px;left : 210px;top : 212px;text-align: center;} #extras { position: absolute;z-index : 1;width : 175px;left : 612px;top : 200px;text-align : center;} .center { text-align : center;margin-left : auto;margin-right : auto;}

XHTML

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"><html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml"><head><meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1" /><link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="styles.css" /><title>Harry Potter Layout by Kevin of forums.dervish-banges.com and rahponline.com</title></head><body><div id='container'><div id='banner'></div>	<div id='navigation'>Navigation Here</div>		<div id='content'>SITE CONTENT, SITE CONTENT,SITE CONTENT, SITE CONTENT,SITE CONTENT, SITE CONTENT,SITE CONTENT, SITE CONTENT,SITE CONTENT, SITE CONTENT</div>	<div id='extras'>Extras Here</div></div></body></html>

Is anyone having this problem in FF. And if so, do you have any ideas as to how I could change the layout so it works in both browsers, I would greatly appreciate it.Thanks,Kevin

Ok, so the background image isn't lining up right with the banner. Thanks a ton, this really helps. :)EDIT: I figured out that's it's probably the background image positioning. I changed it. Does it all line up now?Thanks for all the help.

A person I know gave me a screenshot of what they see in FF. Here's what it looks like:clipboard01sx4.th.jpgThe banner and content don't even show at all. Is anyone else getting the same result in FF? I have no idea what might be the problem. If anyone has any idea I would really appreciate it. Thanks.

z-index as a negative number??? or is it due to the Image being a background to an empty div??? Try placing the image into the div to see if that works, instead of a background image..

Ya, z-index can be negative numbers.Thanks, I'll try that. I'd rather have it in the CSS, but I don't really care. Do you think if I put a HTML comment in the Div for the banner it might work? That way the div isn't empty, but the text doesn't show? I'll try...The div does have a width and height, the width and height of the banner.

this is the css i use for a banner and is fine in ff

div.banner{float: left;width: 800px;height: 100px;background: url(/headers/title.jpg);}

i don't put any html in the div.

My div for the banner is like this:

#banner { position : absolute;z-index : -1;background-image: url(/layout2/header.png); background-repeat: no-repeat;height : 200px;width : 800px;top : 0px;}

Would that be fine? I don't want to use float. Also, the content doesn't show up either. There's just the background image.