What do i need for a database?

ben3001

Hi people i know this includes laods of things so was unsure where to put it.So what are the things needed for me to have a database?So i know i need:a databasea server (Any particular?)what sort of skills? .php? .asp? mysql?I know its something along those lines, but need clarification. Also i know the main advanatge of having your own databse made is that it is custom built etc... but are there any more. And even still are there any disadvantages to a database?ThanksB

On localhost:- Apache Server- PHP- MySQL(all those are found in one pack called EasyPHP, wich I strongly recommend for beginners)And you need a DataBase Manager called PHPMyAdmin, wich you also might find in EasyPHP.As languages: PHP, SQL.

So what are the things needed for me to have a database?
Are you using windows machine and have MS Office? to start off try MS ACCESS. its used to allows you to create and process data in a database. its simple.Also database in web development is useful when you know any server side scripting language [like ASP or PHP......]

Thanks for your replies...@msd thanks for the EasyPhp im looking straight into that, looks like ive got alot of learning to do.@ pulp Im using windows and use office. I can write a basic database in access but have not really know how to publish it to the net so people can input data into it.Im just wondering are there any disadvantages in making a database, i.e cost? security etcThanks

Disadvantages relative to what? Sure, it costs money to have someone spend the time to create a database, but what are you comparing the cost to?Access might be easy to learn how to set up a database, but don't use anything Access online. Access is simply not suited to be used as a web database. Look into MySQL or Microsoft SQL Server instead.

yes apache is only for servering webpages, the database is completely seperate. You can install the database and access it from other webservers with no problems if you set it up for remote access that is).

Archived