Website designer

Html

Hi there,Who here is a professional website designer or perhaps near to that stage, and can you tell me what it is you need to know on a range of different web languages, xhtml, CSS, javascript, php, and others?

Hello!Most people here have a link to their websites, so you could check out them and then you could see yourself...it's hard to say "I'm a great webdeveloper/designer so choose me". It all depends on what YOU want :) (I think at least lol)

Well, lets say you want to work for a place that is maintaining a site. Your going to have to know more than just a bit of xhtml or css right?

It really depends on what you're employer is looking for. If you're only there to modify some [X]HTML and CSS, then that's all you really need to know. But if they want you to do work in JS, PHP or any other Server Side language, then that's what you'd want too look into. The more you know probably the better, but if you don't need to use a certain language, then there's not point in learning it. I'd use the time you would spend learning a new language to improve your skills in the languages you'll be using.

I currently work in a graphic/web/marketing firm doing database and web design. What I know is HTML, CSS, PHP, SQL and database technologies like MySQL and Filemaker.Any more questions (as said by Skemcin) just post a reply :)

I was talking to the webmaster at my school and the school uses DotNetNuke to update their site and he said that a lot of companies are switching to using this content management system for their sites. Have any of you run into places using content managment systems like this? If so, does it replace some of the need of hiring programmers? I've never used DotNetNuke or any of those other programs.

After reading this topic, http://w3schools.invisionzone.com/index.php?showtopic=948 post four, yours. I can see that I prefer more the code part than hardly anything else! Um, I mean trying a little CSS, yeah ok...hmm not really something I'd like to keep at, I am an analytical person as well an imaginative thinker. I don't particularly like mathematics, programming would have to be less orientated to maths :) neither am I very good at it. :) Thank you.If you check out my page, you'll see that its just basic old html, but that isn't the focus. The design is...

Start with reviewing this post and the ones mentioned:http://w3schools.invisionzone.com/index.ph...ost&p=54544Let me know if you have any questions after that.
Thanks to others that have posted as well. :)

I was talking to the webmaster at my school and the school uses DotNetNuke to update their site and he said that a lot of companies are switching to using this content management system for their sites. Have any of you run into places using content managment systems like this? If so, does it replace some of the need of hiring programmers? I've never used DotNetNuke or any of those other programs.
I hope this is not true. phpnuke and dotnetnuke generally are poorly designed, from the small amount of experience I have had with them. They are pretty slow and limit you to block style layouts (which I personally don't like).There are far better CMS's out there like Joomla and ModXCMSAs for what you need to know to be a professional. Well XHTML/CSS are a given. In the past JavaScript really hasn't been that important but recently witht eh popularity of AJAX and Web 2.0 richness I would recomend learning at a minimum the basics of JS. Also pick a serverside language (PHP is easy to learn and is used widely but check what the most common server side language in your area is).Beyond that XML, other server side languages, advanced SQL are good things to look into

The webmaster's reasoning is not likely to be backed by any evidence - it be interesting to challenge him/her on that. I bet he/she is an online gamer and managers a clan website somewhere - but that might be a stretch. Furthermore, I'd like to see some URLs for the companies her/she is referring to. And if I find them on the first two pages of a google search related to their keywords, I'll be impressed.In any respect, you might fit better as a web/interface designer (in the long run). But HTML by itself is not going to get you too far (in the short run). Keep giving it some thought (as you have) and you'll find you way.:)

The webmaster's reasoning is not likely to be backed by any evidence - it be interesting to challenge him/her on that. I bet he/she is an online gamer and managers a clan website somewhere - but that might be a stretch. Furthermore, I'd like to see some URLs for the companies her/she is referring to. And if I find them on the first two pages of a google search related to their keywords, I'll be impressed.In any respect, you might fit better as a web/interface designer (in the long run). But HTML by itself is not going to get you too far (in the short run). Keep giving it some thought (as you have) and you'll find you way.:)
I don't think your post was directed to me, was it? :)

I just want to add that I don't really consider the ability to write HTML code as a marketable skill. It's so easy for a beginner to pick up that you aren't going to be able to earn a decent living if all you do is write HTML. That's what makes pictures like this funny:will_code_html.jpgPeople don't even need that skill to put a website online when there are things like FrontPage floating around (FrontPage is definately a "floater"). So, there's really no such thing as an "HTML professional" (except the guy in the picture). There might have been at one point for a few months in the late 90s, but not any more. If you want to make a good living making websites, then you need a skill that not everyone with an internet connection can pick up in a week, which is something along the lines of server-side scripting, database interaction, AJAX, etc. Even if all you can do is install other open source applications, that's still better then only knowing how to write HTML.That being said, HTML is a necessary skill for any web professional.

I don't think your post was directed to me, was it? :)
sorry, that was @music_lp90

Archived