Ruby on Rails

Guest chucksense

Hi Chuck,I looked at the site. Everything sounds nice but what does it do? What is it like? They fail to give MEANINGFUL examples of there code. Blocks and blocks of storytelling like code does not help me understand what the heck they are doing.story.moveup??? what does that do?dave.deposit(100). So you created some system methods...any language can do that...it is called a library! You write methods that can be used in a variety of apps to do reoccuring tasks.I fail to see the value of this language. there is already too many languages out there...why do we need a new one?IMO if you peopl ewant to contribute tot he web and make things easier for developers, pick a popular language and start creating controls and methods for that language. Don't make up a whole new framework...do you honestly think you can 'kill' java, php, .net ot any other mainstream language???So you have 60,000 downloads...yeah....asp.net has like 60 million.If you intend to win me over...give me some cold, hard proof that you are better not a bunch of colorful, pretty slide shows full of propaganda and blog clippings!Sorry for the rant...it is not pointed at anyone in particular.

I have not tested this yet but when looking here http://www.rubyonrails.org/screencasts it sure looks like C++ but with diffrent comands. Like aspnetguy said, they didnt gave meaningful exampels to convince. And would like to see a site just made by this with some cool effects or some that are not supported in the most common web tools.But i see you can use MySQL thouse it support other versions??And i think it will take a while before or if it will be standardilized by w3c,atm i dont see any use for it..... sorry.I might change if i see a website :)

I am not a C++ programmer, and for good reason. I began learning C and conclude...although it may be a great and powerful language, it is very hard to understand, to me anyways.So saying that and concidering te comment that it looks a lot like C++, how can RoR claim that it is easier to write and understand, C++ is tough!And if it is just a beefed up C++, we can write our own code libraries and our on deposit() functions!

I am not a C++ programmer, and for good reason. I began learning C and conclude...although it may be a great and powerful language, it is very hard to understand, to me anyways.So saying that and concidering te comment that it looks a lot like C++, how can RoR claim that it is easier to write and understand, C++ is tough!And if it is just a beefed up C++, we can write our own code libraries and our on deposit() functions!

Ruby on Rails is based on Ruby itself which is an up and coming scripting language much like Python. It is OS independent which makes it attractive to some developers, and is used quite a bit in Linux. It by no means is a language that will take over the market especially in web development, but it is a language which is becoming ever popular and growing. Ruby essentially tried to take the best features out of multiple languages including Python, Java, Ada, Eiffel, Smalltalk, and Perl among others.Here is more info for those interestedRuby's website: About Rubyhttp://www.ruby-lang.org/en/20020101.htmlWikipedia: Rubyhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruby_programming_languageAnd no w3schools should not create a tutorial for this language on its site, it is not intended to be a web development scripting language. It can be used as one I am sure, but that was not its purpose, so it should be left off of here.

(But the fact that you can make a webblog with 58 lines of code is VERY appetizing) :)We have to let Kaijim decide this. We also need someone who is at least near fluent in the language. (I'm just saying this, i still don't think that there should be a tutorial on it)

IMO, there ought to be a Cold Fusion tutorial way before Ruby gets one!:)

lol....you will not rest until a ColdFusion tutorial appears on the w3schools site will you? :) Well, I actually look forward to the day they include it only because after hearing you mention it so often, I keep getting more and more interested....well maybe soon enough they will add it.

lol....you will not rest until a ColdFusion tutorial appears on the w3schools site will you? :( Well, I actually look forward to the day they include it only because after hearing you mention it so often, I keep getting more and more interested....well maybe soon enough they will add it.

lol - I've actually already come to grips with the fact that Cold Fusion tutorials will not be introduced here. It would require the CF engine to be installed on the server that this is hosted on. So, until that happens, I'm SOL. I imagine that would be the same reason RoR will not be offered here as well - its not installed on the server. But, I hope to add some CF Tutorials that mirror the ones found here - I'll let you know when/if that happens.:)Here is something you might like! :)(check out the code snippet explorer - top navigation)

lol - I've actually already come to grips with the fact that Cold Fusion tutorials will not be introduced here.  It would require the CF engine to be installed on the server that this is hosted on.  So, until that happens, I'm SOL.  I imagine that would be the same reason RoR will not be offered here as well - its not installed on the server.  But, I hope to add some CF Tutorials that mirror the ones found here - I'll let you know when/if that happens.:)Here is something you might like! :)(check out the code snippet explorer - top navigation)

Yeah, definitely let me know when you get the CF Tutorials put together. After looking at the site, I can see why you like it so much, it is pretty straight forward and easy to read. I will probably still resort to ASP/PHP only because I prefer to view things in a programming language kind of way, rather than in HTML-ish tags, and also because a lot more jobs are available for those knowing ASP/PHP than for ColdFusion (at least in my job searches) but CF would be very interesting to play around with on the side I think.

Yeah, Cold Fusion is kind of like the Apple of scripting languages. Allaire made a decision long ago to charge fro their server which made it hard to distribute the technology just as apple decided not to allow their pc and os to be build under generic names. So both have had a less than desirable showing in the market over the years although the underlying technology is just as functional (if not more so in some cases). With Adobe now driving teh wheels, time will only tell . . . There are more php and asp jobs out there but there also a greater range of expertise that can make selection criteria inconsistant - in the CF community . . . the fact that you are there tends to mean you know what you're doing and CF jobs - are pretty easy to get hired for - and I am self taught.:)I've got a few jobs I'm working on throught the holidays so I'll keep the board posted on any CF Tutorials I might manage to get posted.Thanks for the interest.P.S. Isn't server side generated flash the coolest thing? :)

• 8 months later...
Guest finallink

Hello all,Please do create some CF tutorials.This is my first post. I was a Web Designer long ago. Mainly UI's. My employer is considering hiring a large graphic design firm to redesign our company website. However, the mail order online was a concept I recently introduced, hence was not included in the contract. I'm considering tackling the project. However my web skills are rusty. I must admit after reviewing ColdFusion, my curiosity peaked. Learning CF only requires learning additional tags. Tomorrow I'm heading over to Barnes n Noble and picking up a large CF book. I'm going to build a website using ColdFusion, Dreamweaver, Photoshop, Flash and SQL.

Hello all,Please do create some CF tutorials.This is my first post. I was a Web Designer long ago. Mainly UI's. My employer is considering hiring a large graphic design firm to redesign our company website. However, the mail order online was a concept I recently introduced, hence was not included in the contract. I'm considering tackling the project. However my web skills are rusty. I must admit after reviewing ColdFusion, my curiosity peaked. Learning CF only requires learning additional tags. Tomorrow I'm heading over to Barnes n Noble and picking up a large CF book. I'm going to build a website using ColdFusion, Dreamweaver, Photoshop, Flash and SQL.
Hi and welcome to the fourms.I am the native Cold Fusion guru and can help answer most of your questions. I'll start with this:http://w3schools.invisionzone.com/index.php?showtopic=6706You will find all the links you need there to get started with Cold Fusion. Honestly, I'd suggest running through these before going out and getting a book. When you do go that route, any book by Ben Forta as one of the authors is going to be the better choice.As for tutorials, you see in the post I gave you that w3schools is not likely to offer any Cold Fusion Tutorials due to the server-side requirements - which is the same reason why Ruby / Ruby on Rails is, too, not likely to be offered here any time soon.If you have any questions, please feel free to use the Cold Fusion forum.