# needed or not?

RivkaS

I just played around with the Tryit Editor for tables and added a color with the number only like this:bgcolor="FF99CC".The color was displayed nicely and now I would like to know if it is obligatory to add "#" or not.

I just played around with the Tryit Editor for tables and added a color with the number only like this:bgcolor="FF99CC".The color was displayed nicely and now I would like to know if it is obligatory to add "#" or not.
Do you have a page on the web to look at? Does it validate?

The "#" tells your browser the color is defined as a hexadecimal notation. You can also display by there name ore the color RGB (red, green, blue).It could be possible that some browsers can't read it the way you wrote it however I doubt that.Ruud Hermans

mm - by convention and for safety you should always put # before hexadecimal colour notation.

Archived