Contact page...?

keturahuriel

With style? Err... using CSS? Could you be more specific?You can use PHP and the mail() function to email yourself the form data.

If you can do some javascript, you can pick up enough php to figure out the mail() function. The languages are very similar. They do different stuff, so the tutorial is a good idea, but don't be worried about it.

Guest FirefoxRocks
If you can do some javascript, you can pick up enough php to figure out the mail() function. The languages are very similar. They do different stuff, so the tutorial is a good idea, but don't be worried about it.
And remember that the hosting company or the server needs to have PHP support for PHP to work :)If you mean a page with contact information, just type it out in text. As for making something that looks spiffy, it depends on what you want it to look like. You need to give a description of its appearance.

If you don't mind not having the e-mail encrypted for security, and you don't want to worry about looking for a host with php support you can use this:

<FORM METHOD=POST ENCTYPE="text/plain" ACTION="MAILTO:you@site.com ?subject=topic">

(Then your form here with submit button)

</form>

I know this works cause i use it instead of javascript or php.Hope this helped,youngwebmaster

I couldn't comment on the sending email bit. I use a bit of asp that a friend gave me that does pretty much everything I want. I think if you google for "email sending script" or similar you'll find something that works.http://www.cssplay.co.uk/menu/form.html is a great example of a stylish form. There is some debate on markup for forms, such as whether to use lists or divs or whatever. Generally I think that as long as it makes sense to anyone looking at it and it works ok with screenreaders then whatever works for you. Whichever way you choose should still be easy enough to style using CSS.

If you don't mind not having the e-mail encrypted for security, and you don't want to worry about looking for a host with php support you can use this:
Using mailto only works if the user has a mail client installed and configured on their computer. That means it won't work if you use webmail, and it won't work on any public computer.

Using mailto only works if the user has a mail client installed and configured on their computer. That means it won't work if you use webmail, and it won't work on any public computer.
I use yahoo mail and it works for me. Sending and recieving.

You cannot click on a link with "mailto" in it and use webmail to send the mail, that won't work. Try it yourself, make a form or a link that uses mailto in it. If you use a website to get your mail the browser isn't going to know what to do with the link. When you click on a mailto link your browser looks up the email program that you have set up on your computer and sends a command to that program to open a new message. Your browser can't do that with a web site. If you open IE and go to Tools -> Internet Options -> Programs you'll see a dropdown for which email program to use. That is the application that starts when you click on mailto. If the computer doesn't have anything set up there, then clicking on a mailto link won't do anything. That's why it's not a good idea to use mailto, if you use PHP it doesn't matter what the user has installed or set up. If you use mailto you're counting on the user's computer to be set up a certain way. If you're using a public computer like a library computer or internet cafe it's not going to have an email program set up and you're not going to be able to use links with mailto in them. You really shouldn't use mailto for anything, there is always a better alternative.

Archived