Have You

sweinkauf13

Have You???  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Have You Sold An HTML document OR Website Before?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. How much did you sell it for?

• under $50
    • $50-$100
    • $100-$150
    • $150-$200
    • $200-$250
    • $250-$300
    • Over $300

What about people with multiple clients? Do they list their first pay? Last pay? Highest pay?I for one have only one completed payed project (3 pending, but all prosponed by the clients for varying reaons), so my answer was easy.

What about people with multiple clients? Do they list their first pay? Last pay? Highest pay?I for one have only one completed payed project (3 pending, but all prosponed by the clients for varying reaons), so my answer was easy.
They would list there first pay. Sorry, i forgot to say that in my last post.

I've yet to do any job for less than $300, in fact I've not even done a site for less than $1,000 come to think of it. I am curious about how you will use this information from your poll...

I was thinking the same thing. When I work at nights and weekends the projects I'm working on usually go for $1000-$5000, when I work at my weekly job I work on things that we charge the client $90/hr for, anywhere from $1800 for a basic "wizard" to upload and add data, to $100000 for an entire system, depending on the project. Many "professional" web design firms doing the big-name sites charge tens to hundreds of thousands of dollars for the entire site, marketing and SEO included. If it takes you 30 hours to create a website and you're getting paid $300 for it, then you're making $10/hour. You could make that much money at a grocery store.

you guys have been doing this for more time then i have. I am much younger then you. I'm sure what you sell is better, but i have enough trouble making my clients believe that what i'm saying isn't a joke. (I guess it's an age problem.) But i do understnd what you are saying. And also, do you run your own thing or do you work for a company?Thank you for your input,YoungwebmasterSorry if this sounds angry, it was not intended

I work for a company M-TH, but not necessarily doing "website" things. The company's core business is online training courses built in Flash, and I make the software that launches the training and tracks which users are taking what, and lets people run reports and things like that. So it's more of a web application then just a normal web site. We have 20 or 30 installations hosted on our server that we have in the building, and several other customers also choose to host it themselves. Nights and weekends I have my own business working on more traditional web sites, mods to shopping cart software, or whatever needs doing.When I was starting out I didn't charge anyone for anything though, I didn't feel like I knew the technologies well enough to justify someone paying me for it, so I took on a lot of little jobs for my friends and did them for free just to get practical experience using the pieces involved. Once I was confident that I knew what I was doing then I was able to charge a relatively high price to do those types of things. It can get tricky starting out though, if you charge someone for something and it doesn't look like you know what you're doing then you're probably not going to get much more work from them. Repeat customers are pretty important, if you make a customer happy they will use you again in the future and they will also tell their friends about you. So it's fairly important not to charge someone for you learning something, learn it first (doing work for free if necessary), then once you know it you can charge a fair price.

Usually, you have a better chance of getting hired if:1. You work in a company.2. You have proof that you can get a job done right (a portfolio).3. An education in computers and web design.:)P.S. I am younger than you.

Usually, you have a better chance of getting hired if:1. You work in a company.2. You have proof that you can get a job done right (a portfolio).3. An education in computers and web design.:)P.S. I am younger than you.
I don't know if I can agree with all these points. For instance, I still do freelance work on the side so to my clients I don't "work" for a company. My college degree is a Bachelors of Science in Recreation Leisure Studies with a focus in Commercial Recreation and a minor in Marketing. I can agree with the statement regarding proving you can get a job done. But a portfolio isn't the best tool - a combination of case studies and testimonials attest more to one's ability to deliver a job completed, on time, and to the clients satisfaction.

I don't know if I can agree with all these points. For instance, I still do freelance work on the side so to my clients I don't "work" for a company. My college degree is a Bachelors of Science in Recreation Leisure Studies with a focus in Commercial Recreation and a minor in Marketing. I can agree with the statement regarding proving you can get a job done. But a portfolio isn't the best tool - a combination of case studies and testimonials attest more to one's ability to deliver a job completed, on time, and to the clients satisfaction.
I said usually. But I also agree with the testimonials part. Freelancing is also a good work too.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived