RoundedDesign

Synook

Hello everyone,Recently I completed the fourth (I think) redesign of my portfolio and blog site, RoundedDesign.I would just like to receive some feedback on it. Thanks!P.S. It doesn't work very well in IE 6 at the moment - that is being fixed.

Looks very nice. The menu bar looks nice and the footer is well placed. :) I like the contrast between colors. I bookmarked it. 10/10. :)P.S. Love the Snake game. :)

Thanks, Natechs. Yeah, the <canvas> element opens up many new possibilities, if only it had better and more consistent support.Kingy, I recently moved to a new server and there were some problems, but it is back up now (for me at least).

I posted two comments on your blog, and they didn't seem to appear. I'm guessing they are in a moderation queue of some sort, but I believe there should be a notice for that after the form is posted (You know, like "Thanks for your comments. Your comments will appear once they are reviewed."). Not having anything is a little disturbing. The first time I wondered if I really submitted the comment, or if something else happened... and I'm a power user. Imagine if a client happens to read your blog and tries to post a comment. Their feeling would be "Opps, I may have broken something... let's get out of here".Other than that, I like the design, in terms of appearance. What's that grid btw?

:) they were supposed to appear immediately. Did you enter a valid email address? There is validation, but it is "silent" - I'd better put a notice in there. Edit: Validation notice in place - if that was the problem... :)All elements on the site are supposed to fit into the grid, i.e. be exact multiples of 80px in width and 18px in height. This is achieved through a custom CSS column system and enforced line-heights.

:) they were supposed to appear immediately. Did you enter a valid email address? There is validation, but it is "silent" - I'd better put a notice in there. Edit: Validation notice in place - if that was the problem... :)All elements on the site are supposed to fit into the grid, i.e. be exact multiples of 80px in width and 18px in height. This is achieved through a custom CSS column system and enforced line-heights.
Truth be told, yeah, I didn't gave out my email. Didn't thought it's required and even if it was, I must tell you that I'd enter something bogus as I just don't like writing out my email everywhere (for you I may, but most of the times I don't).You should mark the required fields in the comment form and put an error message for every possible error. This "silent" validation treatment is a really bad practice in general, and what just (didn't) happen is exactly why. A generic error message (like "There was an error. Your comment was not submitted.") is the bare minimum you must always give.I still don't see the grid deal... I mean, what's in it for the viewer of the site?

There's an error message now :)The grid view is just for testing purposes, and an interesting visual thingy.Gridding a layout is supposed to make it easier to read, though, as people then look down the columns and don't get confused by multiple-width content as much.

I guessed you moved servers. :)Not a bad, the navigation confused me for a second because the way I imagine sites is to have contact last or near last, and home first. But I do like it, it's tidy, not too word intensive and I don't have issues with the colour schemes either.

• 1 month later...

Thanks. By the way, could you see the captcha image in the blog commenting form? There were some initial reports of difficulties getting that image to appear.

Thanks. By the way, could you see the captcha image in the blog commenting form? There were some initial reports of difficulties getting that image to appear.
I don't know about the CAPTCHA (it appears everytime for me), but for some reason, in IE8b2, all of your articles seem to be cut out. To be more precise, if you open up any article, it will be cut out instead of getting scrolled down. They appear as they should only once I click somewhere on the article.

I don't know about the CAPTCHA (it appears everytime for me), but for some reason, in IE8b2, all of your articles seem to be cut out. To be more precise, if you open up any article, it will be cut out instead of getting scrolled down. They appear as they should only once I click somewhere on the article.
My site appears just weird to me in IE 8 B2, but it may be my connection. Hmm...
but I can't shake the feeling it ought to have rounded corners..
lol - maybe...

• 2 months later...
But the contact form is in all black! no input boxes or lines, I can hardly tell if where to input my infos.
Hmm you must have low contrast - there is actually a slight colour difference between the inputs and the background. Maybe I'll give them a border.

Archived