The Calculator...

Anza Power

The CalculatorHello, I believe most of you web developers here might know what a riddle site (or change-the-URL-riddle) is, well, this is not a change the URL riddle, I've played some of those and the most annoying part in them is when you keep trying to guess the answer and keep getting the 404 error, not to mention deleting and rewriting that part of the address and stuff...So I thought about it a little and came to W3Schols and picked up some knowledge in Javascript, I used it to make a riddle which would locally check your answers then take you to the next page if it's correct...So anyways just check it out and tell me what you think, a lot of puzzlers and riddlers on puzzle site liked it, I hope you guys like it as well, this is just as a thank-you to W3Schools for teaching me Javascript...:)

I like it! but I'm stuck on Level 9: 4. However, I managed to unriddle Level 8 using the source code...Good job !
Well I didn't want to encrypt it like all the other levels since each time you push a button the answer gets re-encrypted and with an answer like the one for level 8 would be about 11 digits decimal number which might make the browser stop responding, but anways only you people here at W3S can figure it out, the rest of the people I'm showing the riddle to can't. :) If you want to know what the real answer, just look at these numbers for a bit and see if you can notice anything :):

2eprm2b.jpg

And as for level 9, rule #1 in Escape the Room games :

Click EVERYWHERE! :)

• 4 weeks later...

I like the idea...for some reason though it won't accept my answer to level 4, which i'm pretty sure is right. It also won't accept 411 at that level, so maybe something's broken?

^ That's weird, I tested both picture and character pages and they both work fine and so does the 411 on them (though 411 only gives you a message"No Hints") as for the answer, are you completely sure of it?

They're Indian/Arabic Numbers

They spell 375

And if you were sure the answer is what you think it is, then if you've noticed each level is titled like this lvl#_###.htm with ### being the answer from the last level, so if you got it right, you could've tried it like the old fashion riddle site by changing the URL yourself. :)

^ That's weird, I tested both picture and character pages and they both work fine and so does the 411 on them (though 411 only gives you a message"No Hints") as for the answer, are you completely sure of it?

They're Indian/Arabic Numbers

They spell 375

And if you were sure the answer is what you think it is, then if you've noticed each level is titled like this lvl#_###.htm with ### being the answer from the last level, so if you got it right, you could've tried it like the old fashion riddle site by changing the URL yourself. :)

ah...the wiki page I was on told me a different answer

^ Nope,

0 is a dot, circle means 5...

:)

*rechecks wiki page...*...oh, yeah. Selective blindness...

I must say, I found out how to decrypt your "encryption method" quite quickly. (I won't mention here, not to spoil the answers for those who don't know enough Javascript).There is no safe way to hide information in Javascript. If a good programmer has access to your source code, it's not difficult for him to find out how to reverse the "encryption" easily. I'd suggest doing the encryption server-side (with PHP) and using AJAX to load the next page (though I don't think freewebs has PHP).Obviously, you didn't intentionally do it, but

your algorithm differs very little from the one to convert decimal numbers to binary

I must say, I found out how to decrypt your "encryption method" quite quickly. (I won't mention here, not to spoil the answers for those who don't know enough Javascript).There is no safe way to hide information in Javascript. If a good programmer has access to your source code, it's not difficult for him to find out how to reverse the "encryption" easily. I'd suggest doing the encryption server-side (with PHP) and using AJAX to load the next page (though I don't think freewebs has PHP).Obviously, you didn't intentionally do it, but

your algorithm differs very little from the one to convert decimal numbers to binary

lol This riddle wasn't meant for tough programmers like you, I posted it on other site which is populated more by Puzzle solvers not puzzle makers. :)And yeah in fact

it is decimal to binary numbers and I meant for it to be this way, all you have to do is convert the number to binary, let's say 13 which is 1011 and you put in the positions of the 1's which in the case of 13 124

, if a programmer is smart enough to un-encrypt the source code, I doubt he's having any problems solving the real riddle...:):PAnd once I finish my next riddle (which is progressing at a really slow rate cause I'm not that energetic) it'll be an encryption method very similar to this but not

binary

but something else,

and no not hexadecimal :)

lol This riddle wasn't meant for tough programmers like you, I posted it on other site which is populated more by Puzzle solvers not puzzle makers. :)And yeah in fact

it is decimal to binary numbers and I meant for it to be this way, all you have to do is convert the number to binary, let's say 13 which is 1011 and you put in the positions of the 1's which in the case of 13 124

, if a programmer is smart enough to un-encrypt the source code, I doubt he's having any problems solving the real riddle...:):PAnd once I finish my next riddle (which is progressing at a really slow rate cause I'm not that energetic) it'll be an encryption method very similar to this but not

binary

but something else,

and no not hexadecimal :)

I'm afraid that whichever the encryption method, if the source code is available, the answer is available too.But I'll recommend one thing: by telling people that the answer isn't in the source code, you're only challenging them to try and find it (and they will, if they're programmers). So it's better not to tell people you've encrypted it.

Archived