w3schools.com

steveben

Hi, My name is sreno and I love w3schools.com, and I am learning how to code through the languages already on the curriculum site. I just wanted to suggest adding programming languages like C, C#, C++ and Java to the curriculum site. Maybe Ada also. I learned so much more from w3schools.com than any other online tutorial or physical book that I've seen out there. It helped me speed up my learning process on how to code thank God. So I just wanted to throw out the suggestion. Thank you.Sreno

This has been suggested many (many) times, but as it stands W3Schools is a tutorial site just for languages and technologies with direct relevance to web development.

But that's not exactly what these languages were created for in the beginning.If you would like to learn real programming languages properly I recommend college or university. If you know programming in general the language you're using isn't very important. A good programmer can learn and use any language that's necessary for the job.

They could teach Java, but in order for someone to learn how to write an applet in Java they are essentially going to need to know almost the whole language. Instruction in Java would basically require that they start from the beginning and include all of the application development topics, because most of them also apply to web developing, and it would turn into a full-blown course on Java. They can't really have a short Java tutorial and expect people to learn everything they need to know, you just can't explain a language like Java or C# in a short online tutorial. There are entire college classes that teach Java and C# and tons of books about them, so I would consider both of those better ways to learn the language that any online tutorial. For just the Core Java books, volume 1 (fundamentals) alone is 737 pages. They take over 700 pages just to explain the fundamentals of Java. Volume 2 is 1056 pages. This type of information just doesn't lend itself to a series of small web pages. Maybe they've been working on Java tutorials for the past years and are getting ready to post them, but I wouldn't hold my breath for it. The Java section of a site like this would be about as big as everything else combined. Same goes for C#.

The W3C hasn't produced a standard for any imperative programming language (not even ECMAScript) - certain such languages are just more popular, compatible, or widely implemented.

The reason VBScript is on the site is because it's the most popular language to write ASP classic with, the actual site is written in ASP, and since the ASP examples are given in VBScript then one can assume that the site itself is written with that language. Since most of the ASP examples online use VBScript, it shouldn't come as a surprise that they teach that here also.

Archived