Heading size in IE7

Mark H

I have just been testing some sites in IE7, or rather IE8 Compatibility mode.I have corrected some problems, but I have an issue with text size.My headings, such as <h1> appear a much larger size in IE7 than the up-to-date browsers, putting a very different look on the site.I'm thinking that I can solve this by making a specific <h1> CSS rule....would I be right?If I am right, what would be the best measurement to use? I usually use pixels as a text size CSS rule.Also, what size do browsers usually reproduce these? For example, for Heading 1, what size should I set to gain the effect I have now in Firefox?Thanks,Mark.

The best practise is to use ems for font sizes.Which size you should use for your <h1> elements is up to you. I use 2 or 3 ems.To use ems in an easy way, give the <html> element a font size of 62.5% (that makes 1em be 10 pixels in most modern browsers)When working with ems, remember that nested elements inherit the em size from their ancestors.

If I set the <html> element as 62.5%, will that then affect all my other elements? Would I be best to completely re-wite the CSS rules in order to convert everything to ems?Thanks,Mark.P.S. It is my understanding, and I may be wrong, that ems are a recent addition. As I'm quite happy with the rendering in modern browsers, and the problem I have only realtes to IE7, is this still the best approach?Also, am I right in thinking that writing CSS rules for the h tags will solve the problem?

a typical default setting for fonts would include*{padding:0;margin:0;} /*zeros all elements padding, and margins*/body{font-family:Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size:62.5%;}p {margin:1em 5px;}h1, h2, h3, h4, h5, h6{margin:0.9em 5px;}h1 {font-size:2.5em;}h2 {font-size:2.2em;}h3 {font-size:2em;}h4{font-size:1.7em;}h5 {font-size:1.5em;}h6 {font-size:1.2em;}IE margins for paragraph, are different compared to other browsers so zeroing all elements, and starting from scratch, then redefining the margins, makes them identical.

I've made the <h*> rules and it's working fine, but I shall go back and adjust the necessary CSS to do what you suggest and make it more cross-browser friendly.Mark.

Archived