Assign a link to a element

airesofwar

Without JavaScript, you will need to use an <a> element. If it needs to fill the entire div, change the CSS display property to block. If the div has a predefined height, assign that height to the <a> also.Technically, you could define the <a> as a block element and wrap it around the div. It should work, but then your document might not validate.

Well that is the problem I am using a Blogger site and its very strict about what can be placed in the <body> section of the template. Wrapping the element in a <a> tag results in a error message and can not be excepted. But I was thinking their might be a way to do it through a JavaScript function by assigning a onclick location to the element in the <head>. But I am a noob with JavaScript so I have not learned how to do something like that.

Did you try my first suggestion? Using a link, if it is at all possible, is always preferable to JavaScript because many users disable JavaScript.But if you really, really want to compromise, this should work:<div onclick="location.href = 'path/to/destination.html'">Don't mess up the quotation marks. :)

Did you try my first suggestion? Using a link, if it is at all possible, is always preferable to JavaScript because many users disable JavaScript.But if you really, really want to compromise, this should work:<div onclick="location.href = 'path/to/destination.html'">Don't mess up the quotation marks. :)
Alright thanks! It excepted that but its still not working. I know its not a syntax error and it seems to be just Blogger being retarded. I had this same problem with mouseover scripts in the past. Back to the drawing board!

are you checking for errors? How are you verifying that it is not a syntax error? (it could be any sort of run time error)

what if you just wrap content of this element within an anchorparentelem = document.getElementById("header");parentcontent = parentelem.innerHTML;parentelem.innerHTML="<a class="linkthis" href='path/to/destination.html'>"+parentcontent+"</a>";if it is a fixed height use.linkthis {display:block; height: 100%;}or you could try using position absolute to force the link to fill the area of a non fixed height element.#header {position:relative;}.thislink {position:absolute; top:0; bottom:0; right:0; left:0;}you can then either useparentelem.innerHTML="<a class="linkthis" href='path/to/destination.html'>"+parentcontent+"</a>";ORparentelem.innerHTML="<a class="linkthis" href='path/to/destination.html'></a>"+parentcontent;you may have to set z-index to bring the 'linkthis' layer above the header content, but it should work.

are you checking for errors? How are you verifying that it is not a syntax error? (it could be any sort of run time error)
Ahh wait it was a error cause be blogger reformatting the coding. I used this code. <div class='header-outer' onclick="location.href = 'path/to/destination.html'">It changed to this code after saved.<div class='header-outer' onclick='location.href = 'path/to/destination.html''>So I reformatted it to this code.<div class='header-outer' onclick='location.href = "path/to/destination.html"'>Now it works just fine! Thanks for everyone's help!

Archived