PHP file read by webserver?

eduard

your mamp htdocs folder should i think be listed under applications as in '/applications/MAMP/htdocs/', create a folder within htdocs folder such as 'test' which when opened the address bar should show '/applications/MAMP/htdocs/test/', now place your created php files within this folder, and make sure mamp is running.in you browser type http:localhost/test/nameoffile.php where 'nameoffile.php' is the name of file in test folder, an it should find this file and display contents, if any.typical test script<?php echo "hello world"; ?>will, IF everything is setup correctly, show hello world.
I did several times what you wrote, but I still cannot read the php file!

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I did several times what you wrote, but I still cannot read the php file!
We've told you where the most likely folder is based on the default MAMP installation (and I've told you where/how to check):Applications/MAMP/htdocsput the test script in there (index.php)
<?phpecho "Hello World";?>

start MAMP. Wait till all the lights turn green. (I've also told you how to have localhost open in your browser automatically)and open

http://localhost

in your browser.if you read my posts, I showed you how to check for ports. I think MAMP might need to use 8888.

http://localhost:8888

you should see some output. If not, there is something wrong with the location of your directories and/or files. Go back and double check every step.

How are you going to find the answer, Eduard? Are you going to wait for someone to respond, or are you going to research it yourself? Have you typed "textwrangler" into Google?
Your reply makes me very angry! Since I´ve registered for this forum (october 2010) I´ve always used and will always use it AFTER I´ve tried it! (not before!)

How are you going to find the answer, Eduard? Are you going to wait for someone to respond, or are you going to research it yourself? Have you typed "textwrangler" into Google?
The latest thing I did: Google > texteditor and php files (I hope you understand it!)

how about searching for what you actually want?"free text editors for Mac (Leopard|Tiger|Etc)" depending on your version

Right! In a previous post you stated

I´ve installed MAMP (Should I deinstall it?) I tried http://localhost; then I see a page of Apache.
did this page list folders, link to phpinfo(), or phpmyadmin,(or mac equivalent?) this shoild be the mamp server page.Can you still get this? if so, you are connected to the server (localhost/ root directory/ webroot / directory relate to same location 'htdocs').If not, you will have to start the server (don't know mac performs this, but windows you click Wamp(windows) icon, and select start all services link).connect to localhost, if apache/mamp server page load it is working.Have you found the htdocs folder/directory? you must find this, all pages, folders will be accesed through this directory, and NO WHERE ELSE.IF! found use macs equivalent to notepad and enter <?php echo "hello world"; ?> nothing else is required, click save as, if drop down list available select all files, and enter name for file, (Note: anything but index, as i think this will the name giving to mamp server page), and give it an extension of .php ie myfirstpage.php. save this file in the directory 'htdocs', which should be at applications/MAMP/htdocsthen all you have to do is enter http://localhost/myfirstpage.php in your browser address bar, and the page should load, and show 'hello world'.Congrats you have done it, I HOPE!

how about searching for what you actually want?"free text editors for Mac (Leopard|Tiger|Etc)" depending on your version
Like this reply: I study the subject > question? > ask forum > study c. q. trying > your reply (outdated)That´s why I prefer chatting.Like this reply!Since a while I am doing other things! (however thanks!)

Your reply makes me very angry! Since I´ve registered for this forum (october 2010) I´ve always used and will always use it AFTER I´ve tried it! (not before!)
I don't understand what you're saying. You asked if the text editors worked on a Mac. I'm wondering why you think it's better to ask that question on a forum instead of just finding out yourself through Google. Isn't it faster to just look it up instead of post a question and wait for an answer? Everyone here is trying to help you, but it doesn't seem like you're helping yourself. You're counting on us to give you all of the answers, you aren't doing the research yourself.

How do I save my Textwrangler file, so my webserver can read it as php.file?
I haven't used a Mac in a very long time, but if it's the same as Windows...When the save dialog comes up (after hitting save or save as) you need to check the save as type drop down and make sure it says all files. Then just type in your file name with the extension (ie, myfile.php not just myfile) and save it.Is this what you're asking?EDIT: Just realized you've already been given this answer too:
found use macs equivalent to notepad and enter <?php echo "hello world"; ?> nothing else is required, click save as, if drop down list available select all files, and enter name for file, (Note: anything but index, as i think this will the name giving to mamp server page), and give it an extension of .php ie myfirstpage.php. save this file in the directory 'htdocs', which should be at applications/MAMP/htdocs

I haven't used a Mac in a very long time, but if it's the same as Windows...When the save dialog comes up (after hitting save or save as) you need to check the save as type drop down and make sure it says all files. Then just type in your file name with the extension (ie, myfile.php not just myfile) and save it.Is this what you're asking?Yes, thank you very much!EDIT: Just realized you've already been given this answer too:
P. s. Do you guys know why I am used to say I have an Apple computer? I live in the south of Chile and they all use Windows! That´s why!

P. s. Do you guys know why I am used to say I have an Apple computer? I live in the south of Chile and they all use Windows! That´s why!
Right. we've also said about 99% of the time that doesn't really matter.

I don't understand what you're saying. You asked if the text editors worked on a Mac. I'm wondering why you think it's better to ask that question on a forum instead of just finding out yourself through Google. Isn't it faster to just look it up instead of post a question and wait for an answer? Everyone here is trying to help you, but it doesn't seem like you're helping yourself. You're counting on us to give you all of the answers, you aren't doing the research yourself.
That´s not totally true, but I admit I could do more research myself!

Everyone here is certainly willing to help you learn, so don't be afraid to ask questions about things that you don't know about. But don't think of the forum as your best resource. Like I said, one of the best skills you can have is the ability to find the answers to the questions you have. Almost all of the questions you're going to have while you're just getting started have already been asked and answered somewhere, so if you search for your questions before you ask someone else there's a good chance that you'll be able to find the answers. More often than not, that's going to be faster for you than waiting for an answer, and it's going to help you understand that you can rely on yourself for most of the answers you need. You can do this stuff yourself, you might be in a wheelchair but I can assure you that when I'm in front of a computer my butt is also firmly planted in a chair. We're all the same when we're working on a computer.That being said, if you have questions we are here to help. Once you get your server set up and working, go through the PHP tutorials on the site. They will answer all of the questions you'll have at first while you're trying to learn. If you're having problems, feel free to post your questions. When we answer, most often we'll give you the information that you need to find the answers yourself, instead of just giving you the answers.

Everyone here is certainly willing to help you learn, so don't be afraid to ask questions about things that you don't know about. But don't think of the forum as your best resource. Like I said, one of the best skills you can have is the ability to find the answers to the questions you have. Almost all of the questions you're going to have while you're just getting started have already been asked and answered somewhere, so if you search for your questions before you ask someone else there's a good chance that you'll be able to find the answers. More often than not, that's going to be faster for you than waiting for an answer, and it's going to help you understand that you can rely on yourself for most of the answers you need. You can do this stuff yourself, you might be in a wheelchair but I can assure you that when I'm in front of a computer my butt is also firmly planted in a chair. We're all the same when we're working on a computer.That being said, if you have questions we are here to help. Once you get your server set up and working, go through the PHP tutorials on the site. They will answer all of the questions you'll have at first while you're trying to learn. If you're having problems, feel free to post your questions. When we answer, most often we'll give you the information that you need to find the answers yourself, instead of just giving you the answers.
Ok, thanks!

I think the difference is that you don't do your own research. You can do plenty of Google searches to figure out how MAMP works. You can post questions on the MAMP forums about how to get it set up. You can read the MAMP documentation and installation instructions. I don't think you've done any of that, you're just asking us. One of the best skills you can develop is being able to do the research to find the answers yourself.
You were right!

Right. we've also said about 99% of the time that doesn't really matter.
That was not the intention of my statement! Here in Chile very few people do have a Mac! That´s why I wrote many times that I have a Mac (here it is very necessary!)

Now that I read your reply calm! I totally agree with you! Wouldn´t it be useful to put this at the beginning of your fora?

The reason it does not matter whether you have a Mac or not is not because the majority of us use Macs, but because there is little difference between Windows- or Linux-running machines and those running OS X, especially when working with web technologies. Even if you were the only person in the world using an Apple machine, we'd still be perfectly able to communicate with you.P.S.: "fora" means "forums"...

The reason it does not matter whether you have a Mac or not is not because the majority of us use Macs, but because there is little difference between Windows- or Linux-running machines and those running OS X, especially when working with web technologies. Even if you were the only person in the world using an Apple machine, we'd still be perfectly able to communicate with you.P.S.: "fora" means "forums"...
I know since a while that for programming it doesn´t matter which operating system you have, but for many other things it does! And I referred to that!P. s. Exactly!

Archived